Oct 18, 2023
I'm a first time builder and I tried my best to follow guides online but of course my worst nightmare came true...I can't get my system to post. Right now I just have it sitting on top of my motherboard box to test components.

Here's my list of parts:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: T-Force Vulcan Z 3600 mhz 2x16 GB
Storage: WD black SN850X NVMe SSD 2TB
PSU: MSI MAG A750GL

If I take out the GPU and then I short the power headers, the error lights initially flash on the CPU and DRAM but then stop and go solid on "BOOT" and "VGA." The CPU cooler and PSU fans spin. When I put my graphics card into the PCIe slot, plug in the power cables, and short the power pins, I get nothing. No lights, no fans, nothing but the ping of my PSU. What could I be doing wrong? Is my card dead?

More information about the setup:
All of the power cables are plugged in. The CPU power is connected to the CPU/PCIe connection on my power supply using the CPU cable. I have two 6+2 pin PCIe cables connected to my GPU. The 6700XT has one 8 pin and one 6 pin connection. Thus, the second cable is a daisy chain with two 6+2 pin PCIe connections. I only have 6 pins plugged in and the rest are just dangling off. The other ends of these cables are all firmly connected to the power supply.

Thank you for your help.

TRENDING THREADS