Jul 12, 2023
Hey guys, this might be a long one because my situation is strange and specific.

I think the HDMI port on my GPU is frying the HDMI ports on my monitors.

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 6750 XT
Motherboard: ASUS 90MB19Z0-M0EAY0 TUF GAMING X570-PRO WIFI II AMD X570 Ryzen Socket AM4 ATX Desktop Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 1.35V
Storage: Hikvision E3000 1TB M.2 PCI-e Gen 3 x 4 NVMe 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive
PSU: DEEPCOOL PQ750M, 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular 750W ATX Power Supply

Monitors in question:
Dell SE2422H 24'' connected in HDMI (my GPU only has 1 HDMI port and 3 display ports)
Dell S2721HGF 27" connected in display port

I have had a 2-screen setup on my new PC since September 2022 with no issues until about 2 weeks ago. My PC restarted itself, and when it came back on, my 2nd monitor (SE2422H) was flashing an error message that said "no HDMI signal from your device." Thought it might have been the cable so I swapped it out for another...same issue. Tried connecting that monitor to my laptop, my girlfriend's PC, and her laptop, and it showed the same error every time.

Luckily, she has 3 of the same screen, so I figured it was an issue with the monitor and took one of hers (also a Dell SE2422H). Same thing happened the next day, screen went dead and was flashing a "no HDMI signal from your device" error with multiple cables and connected to different systems. Keep in mind that my other monitor (S2721HGF) hasn't had any issues.

I tried all the troubleshooting steps on Google except factory resetting it, because I physically can't factory reset it. For some reason, the on-screen menu on the monitor doesn't take me to the on-screen menu. All the buttons (except the power button) open "Input Source", and I've tried every possible combination of button pressing, but I can't get to the on-screen menu to factory reset it no matter what I do. This makes me think it's some kind of software issue or something, but I don't know how to fix it.

I tried calling tech support and explaining the situation, but they evidently didn't know what was going on because they asked me the same questions about 85 times and eventually settled on the monitors being completely busted, so they replaced both the broken ones as they were under warranty. Problem is that it just happened again with the new monitor after my PC installed updates.

Does anyone have any explanation for why this might be happening or what I can do? Is my GPU's HDMI port frying my monitors? Is there another way I can factory reset the monitor without the on-screen display? I really don't want to sit in a tech support call for two and a half hours again.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

To me it seems like the issue might be a grounding problem or the monitors are being shorted out...bot by your GPU but probably a bad/faulty PSU. Maybe relocate to another wall outlet and see if the issue crops up with another replacement monitor?

Did you try using DDU and then manually removing all GPU drivers from your platform then manually reinstalling with the latest GPU drivers from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

PlayerDot

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
This thread popped up when I was having a similar issue, and even though it is old I'd like to share what I've learned in case other people find this thread. I noticed that the monitors the OP is using only come with HDMI cables. Did you buy a separate DisplayPort connector for them, or are you perhaps using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter?

What happened to me is that the DP-to-HDMI adapters I've been using shorted my PC through my monitor essentially. I'm not technically savvy enough to know what the exact technical cause was, but the problem fixed itself when switched to connecting via HDMI or DisplayPort directly without using any adapters.