Is my Graphics Card failing, or is it the Motherboard?

Oct 18, 2018
Ok so, I need advice on what to do here. My old GPU always had issues here and there, and I'd have to regularly run DDU and reinstall the graphics drivers to get it to work properly again. If the computer shut down completely, then I would lose FPS hardcore and video/audio quality would have horrible artifacting. That was a GTX 660. I bought a lightly used XFX R9 380, and the issues seemed to calm. The graphics would only crash every once in a while in the same way as the 660, but no longer on shutdowns. It was more a biweekly thing and would sometimes crash completely necessitating a restart.

However, I recently got a SATA SSD on sale for Black Friday. I plugged that bad boy in, transferred every application and the OS over, immediately had issues with FPS both on the desktop, and in applications/games. I did DDU and it seemed to work for about a week, and after updating Overwatch on the latest patch when I went in it sank to like 10 FPS. No settings had changed, it was all on the lowest settings despite me having a fairly decent setup and never having issues that sustained. I exited, and suddenly EVERYTHING was running about 10 FPS, even videos on YouTube. But no artifacting and audio was perfect. I've run DDU a few times and it's fine now on desktop, but setting everything in Overwatch to lowest possible and messing with the power options only got it up to a sustained ~24 FPS, max 40 and minimum 5. It also showed latency was swky-high, up to 200ms normally and spiked to over 800 at one point.

I ran a test on UserBenchmark to see how it was working - everything was fine EXCEPT the GPU, which got a measly 5% rating compared to other cards of its type. I ran a video memory stress test, no errors. dxdiag, no issues. I updated all graphics drivers, BIOS is up to date (2015 was the latest possible), deleted old half hidden hardware, checked the RAM memory, checked for bent pins, checked for overheating on the CPU or GPU, did clean boots, disconnected the HDD in case the extra power drain was too much for the PSU, etc. No luck.

So all in all that leads me to ask... is this a GPU issue, or because of the issues of the GPU beforehand as well, is the motherboard actually to blame and the PC Express slot just completely screwed up somehow??

Parts list:
- i5-4590 CPU, stock cooler
- Gigabyte Z97m-DS3H motherboard
- 2x6 Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM
- Thermaltake ~500w PSU
- 860 EVO Samsung SATA SSD
- WD 500gb HDD
- XFX R9 380

Lutfij

Titan
Model for your Thermaltake PSU? How old is it? You should've just reinstalled your OS from scratch and then seen if there was a corruption within the OS that was causing the issues after the SSD installation. I'm assuming you're on Windows 10?

Oct 18, 2018

I'm not sure how old it is, more than 6 years for sure. If I reinstall Windows that would delete all of my applications wouldn't it?And yes I'm on Windows. I'll shut down the tower and see what the exact model is for the PSU.