[SOLVED] Is my i7 7700 good with my rx6800?

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
Currently, my PC has an rx6800 gpu and an i7 7700 cpu. I'm planning on getting a new tower as mine has horrible organization, but I was wondering if I should also switch out my cpu and mobo. I have extremely little knowledge in cpu's, so I'm not really sure if I'm good with my current cpu or if I should switch to something else. I'd also prefer to keep it very cheap if possible, hopefully under $350. All help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
At 60Hz, no worries. You'd get that on 3rd gen Intel in many games. At 4k, it's all about the gpu and a 6800xt is good for that..

So play first, see if the cpu can deal with the games, makes them not only playable but enjoyable. Only consider upgrading the platform if the games are too much for the cpu.

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
What is the pc used for? If gaming then what resolution and Hz is the monitor?

The 7700 is barely equal to an entry level gaming cpu these days while a 6800 is at the higher end of gpu’s.
I had no idea a 7700 was that outdated... I normally go for 4k 60fps. I care much more about quality than frames.

I had no idea a 7700 was that outdated... I normally go for 4k 60fps. I care much more about quality than frames.
At 4K and only looking to achieve 60fps the 7700 should still do ok in most games. The 4K resolution will help utilise the 6800. If you had been running a lower resolution and aiming for high fps the 7700 would be far more limiting. FYI the 7700 is a 4 core 8 thread cpu, this is the same as a current i3.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
At 60Hz, no worries. You'd get that on 3rd gen Intel in many games. At 4k, it's all about the gpu and a 6800xt is good for that..

So play first, see if the cpu can deal with the games, makes them not only playable but enjoyable. Only consider upgrading the platform if the games are too much for the cpu.

Solution

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020
At 4K and only looking to achieve 60fps the 7700 should still do ok in most games. The 4K resolution will help utilise the 6800. If you had been running a lower resolution and aiming for high fps the 7700 would be far more limiting. FYI the 7700 is a 4 core 8 thread cpu, this is the same as a current i3.
Alright, thanks for the help!

Jave10

Commendable
Apr 15, 2020

Thank you

Jul 19, 2022
Currently, my PC has an rx6800 gpu and an i7 7700 cpu. I'm planning on getting a new tower as mine has horrible organization, but I was wondering if I should also switch out my cpu and mobo. I have extremely little knowledge in cpu's, so I'm not really sure if I'm good with my current cpu or if I should switch to something else. I'd also prefer to keep it very cheap if possible, hopefully under $350. All help is appreciated!
I had the same setup and upgraded now, the I7 is not enough at all, no more lags or frametime spikes

Jul 21, 2022
If it's 4k/60fps you're after (and you aren't looking to jack up the settings to max), you're fine with the 7700. Keep it cool with a modest aftermarket tower cooler and you'll be fine. The stock cooler will do ok, but considering a $35 tower cooler will be more efficient and quieter, I'd do that instead of spending money swapping out the CPU ;)