[SOLVED] Is my laptop secondary HDD failing?

xChocoMocoHD

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
Hi,
My laptop has a 128gb nvme ssd which has the operating system on it and is the C drive, and a secondary 1TB seagate hdd (st1000lm035) which is the D drive. The D drive boots fine but after a random period of time will disconnect and won't reappear until restart.
I have run crystal disk info which says caution and says the problem is with reallocated sectors count (says 96 current, 96 worst, 36 threshold. not sure what these numbers mean) but all the other things are blue rather than the yellow caution. Running a seatools test seems to pass the short generic test and the smart test but when running a long generic test, after some time the D drive will end up disconnected which means it fails the test. Running a chkdsk has been successful once but usually has failed(when the drive disconnects), I've tried letting it repair the drive on boot rather than with the drive unmounted but both have resulted in the drive disconnecting, usually the chkdsk gets stuck at a certain percentage and then the drive disconnects. The drive appears in bios, it usually works fine on boot and then after some time will disconnect meaning I have to restart again. The fact it works fine at boot means I have been able to backup my data(although I had to do this in multiple efforts as it would usually disconnect mid file transfer). When it disconnects, going to disk management to try and get it to recognise the disk again does not work. The drive appears in the hidden section of device manager when it ends up disconnecting. I've tried uninstalling the driver on device manager and rebooting and it still hasn't changed a thing. Over the past few months i would occasionally get a notification that I needed to restart to repair drive errors which were related to the D: drive (I think there are some corrupted files or something), though the drive never stopped working and I presumed chkdsk had dealt with those problems. I'm not sure what to do, I've ended up buying a 2.5 sata ssd in case I need to replace the hdd but before I open the packaging I'd like to confirm that the hard drive is indeed failing.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Hi,
My laptop has a 128gb nvme ssd which has the operating system on it and is the C drive, and a secondary 1TB seagate hdd (st1000lm035) which is the D drive. The D drive boots fine but after a random period of time will disconnect and won't reappear until restart.
I have run crystal disk info which says caution and says the problem is with reallocated sectors count (says 96 current, 96 worst, 36 threshold. not sure what these numbers mean) but all the other things are blue rather than the yellow caution. Running a seatools test seems to pass the short generic test and the smart test but when running a long generic test, after some time the D drive will end up disconnected which means it fails the test. Running a chkdsk has been...
Hi,
I have run crystal disk info which says caution and says the problem is with reallocated sectors count (says 96 current, 96 worst, 36 threshold. not sure what these numbers mean) but all the other things are blue rather than the yellow caution. Running a seatools test seems to pass the short generic test and the smart test but when running a long generic test, after some time the D drive will end up disconnected which means it fails the test. Running a chkdsk has been successful once but usually has failed(when the drive disconnects), I've tried letting it repair the drive on boot rather than with the drive unmounted but both have resulted in the drive disconnecting, usually the chkdsk gets stuck at a certain percentage and then the drive disconnects. The drive appears in bios, it usually works fine on boot and then after some time will disconnect meaning I have to restart again. The fact it works fine at boot means I have been able to backup my data(although I had to do this in multiple efforts as it would usually disconnect mid file transfer). When it disconnects, going to disk management to try and get it to recognise the disk again does not work. The drive appears in the hidden section of device manager when it ends up disconnecting. I've tried uninstalling the driver on device manager and rebooting and it still hasn't changed a thing. Over the past few months i would occasionally get a notification that I needed to restart to repair drive errors which were related to the D: drive (I think there are some corrupted files or something), though the drive never stopped working and I presumed chkdsk had dealt with those problems. I'm not sure what to do, I've ended up buying a 2.5 sata ssd in case I need to replace the hdd but before I open the packaging I'd like to confirm that the hard drive is indeed failing.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
If the Smart is showing a yellow flag it says your hdd has problems.
Does this problem have anything to do with the disconnects.....unknown.
It might be best to swap out the hdd to fix the yellow flag problem and see what affect it has on the disconnect issue.

It's also possible you could have a bad connection or bad cable or bad port on the mobo if you want to play in that area.

Solution

xChocoMocoHD

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
If the Smart is showing a yellow flag it says your hdd has problems.
Does this problem have anything to do with the disconnects.....unknown.
It might be best to swap out the hdd to fix the yellow flag problem and see what affect it has on the disconnect issue.

It's also possible you could have a bad connection or bad cable or bad port on the mobo if you want to play in that area.
Thank you, I will try swap out the hdd, hopefully it's not a bad cable or anything because I don't want to have to deal with that on a laptop where parts will be hard to source

xChocoMocoHD

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
I've replaced it with an SSD now and everything is fine, I appreciate the help.
Just a quick question someone may be able to help with. Windows still lists some programs that were installed on the old drive and won't let me uninstall them from the control panel because it can't find the uninstaller. I assume this has to do with the leftover registry stuff from the old programs. Is there an easy way to get rid of these?