Question Is my laptop temperature normal?

abid.dk2

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
Hello,

Today someone gave me an old but working AMD C-50 laptop. As soon as i power on the laptop it's idling at 70°C and obviously something is wrong. I know older AMD processor are known to run hot, but idling at 70°C is something i've never seen before. I’ve pried open the keyboard thus the heatsink is visible and its hot to the touch meaning that the heat is transfered properly form the cpu to the heatsink compartment. Im just worried if this processor actually run this hot even when idling

abid.dk2

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
As it's an old laptop it may be choked up inside with years of dust accumulation, so it may benefit from a good blow-out with an air-duster. Also check the fan is actually working 'cos without that things will definitely get very hot very fast even when laptop is idling.
I've completely torn down this laptop unfortunately, I have no air blower so I just clean everything with a brush. and yes the fan is actually working and spinning at the max speed HWinfo says ~4000 rpm. I did not repaste it bcs I have no thermal paste atm

Last edited: