Question Is my motherboard DOA

Jun 7, 2020
Hi just built my first PC but didn't do a bench test which I regret but none of the ports work including the HDMI I heard about having to update driver's but how can I do that when I can't even get an OS installed due to the USB ports not working and not being able to see the boot menu because of HDMI I also cleared the CMOS still no luck plz help
My specs
Radeon rx580
Asus prime B450-A
Evga 600 watt psu
Ryzen 1600
16 GB ram
480 GB SSD

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
This is an old image of a Dell, but it shows what I mean. The yellow box indicates the location of the motherboard outputs. The red box indicates the location of the graphic card outputs. Are you connecting your monitor to the HDMI output that would be in the red box?

aebEK1x.jpg

-Wolf sends

Jun 7, 2020
This is an old image of a Dell, but it shows what I mean. The yellow box indicates the location of the motherboard outputs. The red box indicates the location of the graphic card outputs. Are you connecting your monitor to the HDMI output that would be in the red box?

aebEK1x.jpg

-Wolf sends
I was not just noticed the things plugging the holes so thanks but does that explain USB ports not working

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. It doesn't, but how could you know the USB ports were not working if you did not get a display on your screen?

If you have your monitor connected to your graphics card output and the card has the necessary power cables connected from the power supply and you're still not able to use a USB port to install Windows, then yes. You have issues, likely with the motherboard that need to be resolved.

-Wolf sends

Jun 7, 2020
No. It doesn't, but how could you know the USB ports were not working if you did not get a display on your screen?

If you have your monitor connected to your graphics card output and the card has the necessary power cables connected from the power supply and you're still not able to use a USB port to install Windows, then yes. You have issues, likely with the motherboard that need to be resolved.

-Wolf sends
Because when I plugged a flashdrive in or mouse the light indicating it was on would be on for a second then turn off

Wolfshadw

Titan
For my USB devices, that is normal behavior, but that's neither here nor there.

If you're unable to get into BIOS in order to change the boot order and you're not able to install Windows via USB, then there is likely an issue and you should probably start talks with the seller of the motherboard for an RMA.

-Wolf sends