[SOLVED] Is my motherboard faulty?

Jan 21, 2022
Hi everyone,
I recently bent my ryzen 5 3600's pins, but I managed to bend them back in place with a razor. The cpu fits perfectly in the socket and I have not noticed that a pin is missing anywhere. My motherboard is ascrock b450 steel legend and I've had issues with it already. I think that it is bottlenecking my pc (ryzen 5 2600x, GTX 1660 super OC, 16gb 3600 mhz ram) every game under performs and has massive fps fluctuations. I can't even overclock the ram to it's 3600 mhz, it is stuck at 2100 mhz (i think) and if i tried to raise it it doesn't even want to save the settings, or when it saves them it can't even boot to windows until i take out the battery out of the motherboard. This cpu worked with my pc before and then I even managed to overclock the ram and my pc and game performance were superb and super smooth and stable. English is not my first languague and im not sure if you can understand my post, but the point is that I really suspect that my motherboard is faulty so I am wondering if that is possible? (And, since my pins are unbent and perfectly fit in the socket, do you think that AMD would notice that it was bent if I try to use my warranty to get a new cpu?)

Solution
You don't really have a valid warranty claim yet. Reset CMOS then run some benchmarks like 3DMark and Cinebench. Compare them with other similar machines, CPU and GPU mainly. If nothing else, just post results here. Be sure to include temperature for CPU and GPU while running the benchmarks.

It sounds like you might have a memory compatibility problem: run some memory stability tests, use MemTest or even Windows' built in Memory Diagnostics. Do it immediately after the CMOS reset and then after setting XMP. Make sure it runs through the total amount of memory without failures. You want to make sure all the memory data and control pins for both memory channels are making reliable contact.

And post full system specs including CPU...
You don't really have a valid warranty claim yet. Reset CMOS then run some benchmarks like 3DMark and Cinebench. Compare them with other similar machines, CPU and GPU mainly. If nothing else, just post results here. Be sure to include temperature for CPU and GPU while running the benchmarks.

It sounds like you might have a memory compatibility problem: run some memory stability tests, use MemTest or even Windows' built in Memory Diagnostics. Do it immediately after the CMOS reset and then after setting XMP. Make sure it runs through the total amount of memory without failures. You want to make sure all the memory data and control pins for both memory channels are making reliable contact.

And post full system specs including CPU cooler, case, fans and their arrangement along with memory, GPU, CPU.

What BIOS version are you running? you might want to update to the latest. Be sure to reset CMOS.

Last edited:
Solution