Andy6602

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
There was a smell of burning dust or plastic , i couldn't see any obvious cables or burnt marks inside my computer case, so i dusted it, it's been maybe a year or a little over since last time i dusted it, so it was really needed anyways. I tried to locate the smell but there was no obvious culprit, it smelled a little overall, including the fan and graphics card, however after leaving the computer off for some hours, most of the smell was gone apart from a small amount coming off the PSU, i'd have to really get close and even then it wasnt overbearing. My question is how can i tell if it was the dust after all or if my psu really is about to fail? should i leave it for a day and see if the smell persists? would that help? or should i run the computer for a couple minutes and see if the smell becomes noticeable again?

I also changed the thermal paste, since it has also been a while since i changed it, and my computer experienced no slowdowns when i first noticed the smell, nor was it overheating.

My computer (and psu) are both around 5 years old.

Solution
First of all at NO point, try disassembling the PSU cover. Take your PC to a professional repairman to get it checked. A multimeter check will suffice to check the voltages across the various rails (3.3 V, 5V and 12 V) and the repairer can also check the innards of the PSU/PC to determine any capacitor/resistor breathed it last (that might be the culprit for the smell).
Now coming to the point of the burning smell, yes burning of dust does produce across electronics and still to be on the safe side get the PSU checked.
It would be better not using that PSU before this check (which is why I am not suggesting to check the voltages readings from the BIOS).

serioussamik17

Distinguished
First of all at NO point, try disassembling the PSU cover. Take your PC to a professional repairman to get it checked. A multimeter check will suffice to check the voltages across the various rails (3.3 V, 5V and 12 V) and the repairer can also check the innards of the PSU/PC to determine any capacitor/resistor breathed it last (that might be the culprit for the smell).
Now coming to the point of the burning smell, yes burning of dust does produce across electronics and still to be on the safe side get the PSU checked.
It would be better not using that PSU before this check (which is why I am not suggesting to check the voltages readings from the BIOS).

Solution