Question Is my PSU likely to be the issue? (GPU upgrade)

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Hi all - Need some help please!

Bought a second hand Asus GTX 1080 the order day
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GeFor...keywords=asus+gtx+1080&qid=1607024804&sr=8-10

It arrived in good condition today and sadly would not work. Current card is an EVGA 1060 6GB edition which has served me well for over 3 years

Assumed it would be an easy swap but alas not. Card lit up, fans spinning but no visual output on any port and tried multiple devices.. Tried completely removing drivers and reinstalling. Flashed the bios also.
A friend suggested it might be the PSU but 600 watt should be ok, but could be borderline. When I researched the consensus seemed to be 500 watt+ so thought I would be okay
Have a 600W Corsair PSU as below. What do people think its the likelihood of the PSU being the issue? Don't want to take to a shop and end up out of pocket if the card turns out to be the problem but not sure what do do

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sair-CX600-600W-Power-Supply/dp/B009D79Z9I

Running A Ryzen 1700, 16 Gig ram, SSD and Sata setup. Nothing fancy by any means.
If the PSU was the problem would the card not show signs of life on the screen? tried removing and replacing it about 20 times and stopped for fear of damaging the slot. have put the 1060 back in in for now :(

Oh motherboard is
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-B350M-Ryzen-Motherboard/dp/B074QD4L59

Input would be most welcome :)

Reactions: stephenlatimer7
Could definitely be a PSU issue due to the age and low quality of the CX600. My only experience with a CX600 was one that was completely dead and required repair for the PC to even turn on.

From experience I have run GTX1080s on 500-550 watt PSUs without issues, but something low quality like CX600 might have issues even though it is a 600w PSU.

The SeaSonic above would work well, but here is a cheaper alternative that is also of strong quality.
Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (CP-9020132-NA) - PCPartPicker

Reactions: stephenlatimer7

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Thanks guys - Thats really helpful!

I have left the unit in to the store and they will assess for free and let me know what the fault is.

Assuming its the PSU then I will need something that of course fixes the intiial problem and I will be happy with the setup for a little while longer.

In 12 months time I may look to upgrade again. (Might just but a new rig - Decision to be made)

Assuming the motherboard can take it I would be looking at a top end Ryzen (well top end now, won't be top end in 12 months.) Something like the 3900 which will have come down in price. Also An RTX 3070/80 and a nice big SSD drive as I only have a 128 at the moment for the OS. Assume it will help with game loading times significantly.

With my vision in mind what sort of wattage should i be looking out for? Thinking 850+

Again thanks for the reponses. Very helpful people on here.

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
I did not realise the Corsair was a bit rubbish. If it is the problem then I will remind the folk in store than they recommended it 18 months ago :) In fairness its been absolutey fine so cant moan too much.

On a side note if the store manage to get the 1080 working along with the Ryzen 1700 would 4k gaming at 60mhz be a reasonable experience? Not expecting Ultra settings and super fast refresh rates (tv doesnt support them anyway).

Would be interested to know what sort of kit would be needed to run games in Ultra 4k at 144mhz and 60FPS minimum. Guessing it wont be cheap!. Depending which website you look at you get very differing opinions as to what would be needed.

Oct 29, 2020
It's not your PSU. It should be able to run any GPU on idle when it doesn't take much power. If the GPU isn't giving any output the PSU isn't to blame.

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
It's not your PSU. It should be able to run any GPU on idle when it doesn't take much power. If the GPU isn't giving any output the PSU isn't to blame.

Hmm - A spanner in the works.
Hopefully I will find out for definite today/tomorrow and report the outcome on here. Will be very disappointed if the GFX card is defective.

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Just a quick update. Was in fact a defective card. So down a few quid but not much. Managed to pick one up that does work so got there in the end although spent a bit more than I wanted too