[SOLVED] Is my R5 5600X turboing properly?

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
I got mine back in like January, and back then I don't remember if task manager was reading max turbo properly, but now, according to HWInfo and task manager, my CPU will only boost to about 4.2GHz under an all core load (AIDA64 FPU stability test). HWInfo Perf clocks will read 4.6, but the effective clock is 4.2. Is this normal? Why would the effective clock only be 4.2GHz when the "active" clock is 4.6? Is this normal turbo behavior?

System Specs:
CPU: R5 5600X
CPU cooler: Fractal Design Celsius S24 (240mm aio)
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
RAM: GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz CL16
GPU: RTX 3080FE
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W

I'm trying to see if this behavior is normal, because I can't see any reason why task manager would be reading 4.2 if the CPU was actually turboing to 4.6 like it should normally be doing.

Solution
I actually ended up fixing this problem on my own. Apparently PBO was enabled through some other setting even though I had PBO disabled through the more obvious setting in the BIOS, and whatever values it was running were very bizarre, which in turn lead to really bizarre performance. At default it more frequently turbos to 4.6 although not as often as I'd like, though I do actually run even worse in multi core somehow, running at about 4.1 or 4.0 GHz multicore and with a lot more stable/predictable boost behavior. With PBO enabled and with proper values I can easily get 4.6GHz all core with reasonable voltage and temps.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
So I did a little bit more testing, I ran cinebench R23 single core and only got a 1388 score, and almost never saw any core boost over 4.3GHz... many other 5600X's are consistently turboing to the rated 4.6GHz single core at stock and hitting around 1550+ single core score. I saw 4.3GHz all core in the multi-core CPU test for R23 and that's a little more normal, but why would my single core score be so astronomically low at stock? EDIT 8800 multi score is still a lot lower than other people's samples, which I've seen is around 10-11k. So I'm not quite sure what's happening with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
HWInfo Perf clocks will read 4.6, but the effective clock is 4.2. Is this normal? Why would the effective clock only be 4.2GHz when the "active" clock is 4.6? Is this normal turbo behavior?
"Effective Clock" is an averaging of clock speed over the sampling period. The developer implemented this because it accounts for when the core goes into low power states between sampling periods.

See: https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/effective-clock-vs-instant-discrete-clock.5958/

Reactions: drea.drechsler

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
I actually ended up fixing this problem on my own. Apparently PBO was enabled through some other setting even though I had PBO disabled through the more obvious setting in the BIOS, and whatever values it was running were very bizarre, which in turn lead to really bizarre performance. At default it more frequently turbos to 4.6 although not as often as I'd like, though I do actually run even worse in multi core somehow, running at about 4.1 or 4.0 GHz multicore and with a lot more stable/predictable boost behavior. With PBO enabled and with proper values I can easily get 4.6GHz all core with reasonable voltage and temps.

Solution
I use CTR to overclock my cpu and it basically does all the hard work for me. Although all my cores can boost to 4.65ghz for single core boosting, they are most stable at 4.5ghz all core overclock. Each cpu is different though, mine is only a bronze sample but Ive seen people getting 4.8ghz all core overclocks but for my system I dont really need to overclock and get best results just leaving the cpu alone to do its thing.