Is my SSD failing??

Jun 10, 2018
I have an older rig that I built a while back. It is a Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU, with 8 GB of RAM, an Nvidia GTX 460 video card, Windows 10 Home, and it was running a standard hard drive. I acquired a used OCZ Deneva 2 (480 GB) and cloned it over. It has run quite well for over a year.

Fast forward to yesterday. It wouldn't fully boot. The error it came up with had something to do with SrtTrail.txt. It wouldn't boot off of a repair disc, but Windows eventually went into repair mode (after several forced restarts). It could not repair the installation.

Since I had a brand new HP S700 500GB SSD, I just put that in, and reinstalled Windows 10. I then upgraded that to the Spring Creators Update and all seemed fine. I shut it down. When I restarted it a while later, the new SSD had the same SrtTrail.txt error. I then proceeded to reset Windows 10 and it has seemed to be okay since then.

My question is concerning the OCZ Deneva SSD. I downloaded the OCZ SSD Utility and ran it. The problem is that they give you no guidance on how to interpret the SMART results (I can't even find a good explanation online). So, if anyone can tell how to read the results, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I would upload a copy of the SMART report (from a different utility that has the ability to save it - the OCZ utility only saves a zip file for tech support), but I don't see where to do that.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Probably not the SSD failing if you had the same fault come up on 2 different drives. Also SSDs tend to die in one of 2 specific ways, either they become "Read Only", or they die completely and without warning.

From a quick google, it seems to be a MS Win10 update bug; if you search "SrtTrail.txt" a LOT of hits come up, including several video guides to fixing it.

Jun 10, 2018
I ended up cloning the new installation back on the OCZ SSD and it is working fine for now. The OCZ SSD Utility shows the drive as being 100%, so I am presuming that it is okay. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if anything changes.