Question Is my USB Controller dead?

la20fo09

Prominent
Jan 9, 2019
Hi,
hi just did my second build for my best friend, using a ryzen 5 2600x, an rx 590 and a gigabyte b450m sh2.
After compleeting, we noticed a few issues which lead me to belive, that the USB controller is brigged.
  1. Keyboard sometimes stop working after a little while.
  2. Arrow down constantly beeing detected even if not pressed down, replugging fixed it.
  3. Mouse showed same behavior as keyboard in 1., sometimes not even starting to work.
  4. Windows instalation beeing locked in a blue screen, even before the first step, furthest I hot is language selection (first step), the 1. happened (or instalation locked up?) When it locked up in the first step, I couldn't even tur it of with the button, but had to remove the power.

I'm trying to install windows 10 from a 3.0 USB drive with an activity indivator LED, which shows no activity after a short time.
First thougt it might have been BIOS 42, the preinstalled, so we updated to 50 (the newest), which wored without a problem, which kind of destroys my theory, anyone got any other ideas?
Ask for BIOS settings or anything else if needed.

Thanks for helping!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
for hardware testing I use linux. make a USB drive with linux and boot up.
if the hardware is borked it will not work here properly either. if it is working here, something in windows is causing the issue not the controller.

What are the entrie specs including PSU?

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

la20fo09

Prominent
Jan 9, 2019
for hardware testing I use linux. make a USB drive with linux and boot up.
if the hardware is borked it will not work here properly either. if it is working here, something in windows is causing the issue not the controller.

What are the entrie specs including PSU?

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the thumb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.
RAM: 16gn T-Force T1 gaming 3000 (running stock speed)
PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 500W (semi modular)
SSD: WDGreen 240GB Sata M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1GB
Keyboard: Sharkoon SGK4
Mouse: Sharkoon SGM3

Will try that tomorrow, you mean install Linux, or run it of the Thumbdrive?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
RAM: 16gn T-Force T1 gaming 3000 (running stock speed)
PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 500W (semi modular)
SSD: WDGreen 240GB Sata M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1GB
Keyboard: Sharkoon SGK4
Mouse: Sharkoon SGM3

Will try that tomorrow, you mean install Linux, or run it of the Thumbdrive?

run it from the thumbdrive, no reason to install just to verify the USB.
lest you want to.

I asked about the PSU because if the 5V rail is failing the ports may be losing power and shutting down

la20fo09

Prominent
Jan 9, 2019
run it from the thumbdrive, no reason to install just to verify the USB.
lest you want to.

I asked about the PSU because if the 5V rail is failing the ports may be losing power and shutting down
I'm trying that now, which connector would be the 5V Rail? 24 Pin? Even though I checked all connectors, I might do that again. What I also thougt of: a mainboard has multiple USB controller, and neither 3.0, 3.0 at the front, nor 2.0 work, which would likely be 3 different controlers, so it should be something else.

Edit: Installed Ubuntu on another USB Stick, got to coose whether to install, boot, OEM install or something eles, chose boot, got 4 errors at he top, below a bit mulicoloral screen and am now stuck in a black screen. Had to hard shut off, will ad photos soon.

Find photo here:
Edit: Disabeling CSM and Setting secureboot to standart instead of coustom only gave one errorcode:
[ 6.277828] Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e
View: https://twitter.com/LarsFockenga/status/1216347419367084032?s=20

Last edited: