[SOLVED] Is overclocking 60hz monitor to 75hz safe?

ajay12131

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
So I bought a new Acer 1440p 60hz IPS monitor about 6 months back. Its working like charm and I'm very happy with the performance. However, I came to know just recently that even monitors can be overclocked. So I viewed a few videos on how to do so on Nvidia cards and have managed to achieve a stable 75hz refresh rate very easily. Its been 4 days now since I'm running it at 75hz without any issue, and am enjoying the even smoother gameplays at 75 frames per second. But officially the monitor states that it is not overclockable. So my question is whether its safe to overclock it, or should I return to base clock. Will it harm my monitor's lifespan, or will it void my warranty? Can a 15hz of overclocking really hurt bad?

Solution
Hey there,

So the simple answer as you've discovered is that they are OC'able and they work fine.

In terms of lifespan, it's possible it may reduce the lifespan of the monitor, but not really in a measurable way. Let's say hypothetically, the monitor under normal circumstances would last 5 years. By OC the panel it might be 4.2 years instead.

With regard to any damage, if you discover any on screen anomalies then simply take the OC off.

I've had a BenQ 60hz monitor running at 75hz instead of 60hz for 4 years on one of my machines. Still rock solid and never an issue.
Hey there,

So the simple answer as you've discovered is that they are OC'able and they work fine.

In terms of lifespan, it's possible it may reduce the lifespan of the monitor, but not really in a measurable way. Let's say hypothetically, the monitor under normal circumstances would last 5 years. By OC the panel it might be 4.2 years instead.

With regard to any damage, if you discover any on screen anomalies then simply take the OC off.

I've had a BenQ 60hz monitor running at 75hz instead of 60hz for 4 years on one of my machines. Still rock solid and never an issue.

Reactions: ajay12131
Solution

ajay12131

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
Hey there,

Thank you so much for replying. I'm glad to agree with you. I myself dug Google some more and found many people claiming that they have been using overclocked monitor for years now, and without any issue.
And your helpful reply just added to my confidence. I tested my overclocked monitor with the EIZO MONITOR TEST for color and pixel accuracy and there has been absolutely no problem. Then I tested it with the UFO TEST to confirm the refresh rate and 75 it is.
So I'll be sticking with 75hz for until I experience any problem. And if any, I'll report it here in future.
Thanks again for replying. My regards.😊

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

TRENDING THREADS