Question Is overclocking my RX 6800 worth it?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I would like to get to 60fps in Minecraft RTX (I know that radeons are not the best for RT, but this is the only RT game I play) and right now I get around 48fps. I know it is not a CPU bottleneck with my 7700x because MSI afterburner has my GPU pegged at 100% and my CPU at around 30%. I understand that overclocking the GPU probably won't get me to 60fps but every little bit helps.

Colif

Win 11 Master
there appear to be some gains to overclocking card. most games there get about 10fps.

I can't find anything about Minecraft RTX though. One I found got less DPS than you do now.

Reactions: Order 66

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I would like to get to 60fps in Minecraft RTX (I know that radeons are not the best for RT, but this is the only RT game I play) and right now I get around 48fps. I know it is not a CPU bottleneck with my 7700x because MSI afterburner has my GPU pegged at 100% and my CPU at around 30%. I understand that overclocking the GPU probably won't get me to 60fps but every little bit helps.

Wait, are you actually using this with a Thermaltake Smart? Overclocking, in that case, would be an absolutely terrible option. Just running your GPU at stock is dangerous enough.

Reactions: PEnns and Order 66

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The wattage isn't in question. The quality of the unit is. In spite of the popularity and price, these are basically a housefire lottery. It would be worthwhile to purchase a better quality and efficiency unit. Keep this one in the closet for testing with or something like a potato system.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I am, in fact running it with a Thermaltake smart. 700W even at 80% efficiency should be enough for a 7700x (undervolted) and my 6800, right?

No, it's cheap, group-regulated garbage. These PSUs are absolutely nasty when dealing with a crossload -- meaning anytime a gaming PC that's newer than a Pentium III is at load -- and overclocking would just make this worse.

I don't understand this at all. $350 for a CPU, $200 for a motherboard, $450 for a GPU, all powered by...the cheapest piece of junk PSU you could find that looked to have a large enough watt number? This is like buying an expensive Italian sports car and filling it up with gasoline that you found in a rusty gas can from a landfill.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
No, it's cheap, group-regulated garbage. These PSUs are absolutely nasty when dealing with a crossload -- meaning anytime a gaming PC that's newer than a Pentium III is at load -- and overclocking would just make this worse.

I don't understand this at all. $350 for a CPU, $200 for a motherboard, $450 for a GPU, all powered by...the cheapest piece of junk PSU you could find that looked to have a large enough watt number? This is like buying an expensive Italian sports car and filling it up with gasoline that you found in a rusty gas can from a landfill.
If it helps, I actually bought the PC built to order (I didn't choose the PSU, had I known I would have requested a different one) because I don't have the time nor did I feel comfortable building it myself. I know a lot about PCs in general (not so much with troubleshooting) but I don't really know how to build one. An analogy I like to use is I'm like a child who has memorized the entire dictionary but can't use a single word in a sentence. Meaning I know a lot about PCs but that doesn't mean I can build one.

Unfortunately as well if you don’t study this stuff you don’t really know. For example there are so many units on Amazon from overseas that have nice looking packaging and say they are good 80+ certified etc with rgb lights etc. Many of those units probably aren’t worth messing with. But when people look at the reviews from others who are unsure or find decent reviews because the unit seemed to work without burning their house down, you get the idea.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If it helps, I actually bought the PC built to order (I didn't choose the PSU, had I known I would have requested a different one) because I don't have the time nor did I feel comfortable building it myself. I know a lot about PCs in general (not so much with troubleshooting) but I don't really know how to build one. An analogy I like to use is I'm like a child who has memorized the entire dictionary but can't use a single word in a sentence. Meaning I know a lot about PCs but that doesn't mean I can build one.

I do want to make it clear we're not trying to berate you or shame you, but we just have seen a lot of people come in with damage caused by junky PSUs and we want to avoid bad things from happening.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wouldn't trust reviews on Amazon as in a lot of cases, they steal the review from a completely unrelated item.

RGB on a PSU is also a red flag to me... what are you hiding... why even have rgb fans, that just gives people wrong ideas about how to mount them...

PSU is (obviously) the source of all power in PC, but if its cheap it can take out other things before they are ready. Better to spend more than you need to on one as it will hopefully keep everything else alive.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I do want to make it clear we're not trying to berate you or shame you, but we just have seen a lot of people come in with damage caused by junky PSUs and we want to avoid bad things from happening.
I would love to practice building PCs but I just don't have the time, I also didn't want to spend $1500 on components and try to build it and get stuck and not know what to do and then give up.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if only there was somewhere you could ask questions if you get stuck...

looks around.

But I can understand not wanting to make it yourself. Its not for everyone. Sometimes its easier to get someone who knows what they are doing to do it... depends on if the process is hard really. Some just need you to remember steps. Or watch a youtube video.

Most questions you have, there is a good chance someone else has... just need to search (omg, I am explaining how I answer most questions here).

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
if only there was somewhere you could ask questions if you get stuck...

looks around.

But I can understand not wanting to make it yourself. Its not for everyone. Sometimes its easier to get someone who knows what they are doing to do it... depends on if the process is hard really. Some just need you to remember steps. Or watch a youtube video.

Most questions you have, there is a good chance someone else has... just need to search (omg, I am explaining how I answer most questions here).
I realize THAT now (DUH!). I didn't (for some reason) think of that at the time. With regards to the PSU, I assumed that because it was from a brand that I have heard of that it was fine. I realize now that this is not the case. Would undervolting help ease the strain on the PSU?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I realize THAT now (DUH!). I didn't (for some reason) think of that at the time. With regards to the PSU, I assumed that because it was from a brand that I have heard of that it was fine. I realize now that this is not the case. Would undervolting help ease the strain on the PSU?
And yes your power supply is junk.
Very few brands of power supplies are actually made by them.
Take EVGA and Corsair neither have made a power supply.

More on the video card if you could get a stable 10% overclock without bricking the card and were getting 50 FPS grass now you get 55 FPS.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Another question, because of the fact that the PSU is junk, Should I keep my 5.4Ghz overclock (at 1.23V) on the 7700x or should I revert back to stock settings? The reason I am wondering is because the CPU is not the bottleneck, I just overclocked it because up until this point I had never had an overclockable CPU and I wanted to try it. I also found this thread discussing the PSU.
what do you think about what they are saying about it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
dark lord was not saying it was a good PSU. There are worse brands, and better ones...

My last 2 PSU were Seasonic, they make their own and have been PSU supplier for IBM for a long time.. servers anyway.

Which reminded me that I don't have my PSU listed in sig lol.

Not sure I would run an OC if you don't need it and PSU is suspect.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
dark lord was not saying it was a good PSU. There are worse brands, and better ones...

My last 2 PSU were Seasonic, they make their own and have been PSU supplier for IBM for a long time.. servers anyway.

I just now noticed that, I guess I just wasn't paying close enough attention to your sig. :) But do you think that I should leave the 7700x overclocked and undervolted or revert back to stock settings for PSU reasons?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Another question, because of the fact that the PSU is junk, Should I keep my 5.4Ghz overclock (at 1.23V) on the 7700x or should I revert back to stock settings? The reason I am wondering is because the CPU is not the bottleneck, I just overclocked it because up until this point I had never had an overclockable CPU and I wanted to try it. I also found this thread discussing the PSU.
what do you think about what they are saying about it?

I would not overclock with this PSU.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I would not overclock with this PSU.

Not sure I would run an OC if you don't need it and PSU is suspect.
Ok, I understand that I should not overclock the CPU with this PSU, however, would undervolting help extend the life of the PSU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
we don't know.

there is no end date to PSU. It could work for next 10 years fine or not work tomorrow. Its an unknown.

Its why having a good one reduces odds it will die sooner rather than later.
(not related to the topic at hand but I feel like I need to ask as I am very curious) I have seen users with the title of "Banned" does this mean that said user is currently banned or has been banned before?

they currently banned. lets not talk about that here :)

TRENDING THREADS