Question Is overclocking my RX 6800 worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I would like to get to 60fps in Minecraft RTX (I know that radeons are not the best for RT, but this is the only RT game I play) and right now I get around 48fps. I know it is not a CPU bottleneck with my 7700x because MSI afterburner has my GPU pegged at 100% and my CPU at around 30%. I understand that overclocking the GPU probably won't get me to 60fps but every little bit helps.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
they currently banned. lets not talk about that here :)
Ok, I am also wondering what featured content is. every users profile that I have view says that they don't have any featured content. Is there any benefit to having 32GB of RAM? I have heard that 16GB is new minimum. Does that mean that 32GB is now the new recommended?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Not many people do have featured content. It is the top button on left of forums. Its meant to be for tutorials but it never really happened. https://forums.tomshardware.com/featured/

16 is probably still good enough for most games, its just 32gb is more useful in some newer games.
speaking of 32GB being useful in some games, have you heard of the game Beamng.drive? I kept getting warnings on my old system (16GB of RAM) that I was running out of RAM which is why I wanted 32GB. That game is the only game where I had problems with 16GB of RAM. I also have this weird issue in Minecraft RTX, where it looks blurry (not from resolution) like someone smeared Vaseline on the screen. I have so far been unable to fix it and it is rather annoying.

Colif

Win 11 Master
every users profile that I have view says that they don't have any featured content.
there are a few of us - https://forums.tomshardware.com/members/colif.1839848/#thfeature_featured_content

Recommended:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.0Ghz / Intel Core i7-6700 3.4Ghz (or better)
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD R9 290 / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 50 GB available space
Additional Notes: Recommended spec based on 1080p resolution. Installing game mods will increase required storage space. Gamepad recommended.

game does run better with 32gb

what monitor are you using?

are the blurry textures at a distance as that can be tied to GPU's ability.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
(I misspoke when I said I had not fixed it, I just couldn't really remember what I did)I seem to remember fixing it by using VSR (it might have also been upscaling it using RSR, totally different things, I know but I know doing one of those two things fixed it) but I am not sure why using RSR would help since with RSR you are using a lower native resolution.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
there are a few of us - https://forums.tomshardware.com/members/colif.1839848/#thfeature_featured_content

game does run better with 32gb

what monitor are you using?

are the blurry textures at a distance as that can be tied to GPU's ability.
for some reason when I go to my account page, it says my account details are not currently editable. I would like to change my username and I can't because I can't edit my account details.

Colif

Win 11 Master
(I misspoke when I said I had not fixed it, I just couldn't really remember what I did)I seem to remember fixing it by using VSR (it might have also been upscaling it using RSR, totally different things, I know but I know doing one of those two things fixed it) but I am not sure why using RSR would help since with RSR you are using a lower native resolution.

I guess upscaling makes everything sharper... same thing worked for RDR - link

I am terrible with user names, so I can't really help :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Some moderators have more abilities than others. Mainly admin ones, and its restricted to a few for security reasons. Apart from them, the only people who can change them are admin. I can't even change my own... not that I can think of a new name :)

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Some moderators have more abilities than others. Mainly admin ones, and its restricted to a few for security reasons.
I could see some admins (not anyone here just in general) changing usernames without permission. not that I'm trying to become one, but what even is the process for becoming a mod? I mean I don't see a big red button saying click here to become a mod lol.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its mysterious. You don't apply for the job. You are appointed.

in the past mods would be asked who they thought would be right choices. We used to have a lot more mods but they have reduced us down in recent years.

Just keep answering questions... you never know what might happen (this isn't a promise)

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
what is a reasonable GPU upgrade from current-gen that should still be viable for 1440p ultra in a couple of years? (I know that we don't know what the future holds for games or GPUs but do you think something like a 7900xt(x) will be still viable for 1440p ultra a few years from now? I am thinking about upgrading the GPU and maybe monitor in a few years.

Colif

Win 11 Master
but do you think something like a 7900xt(x) will be still viable for 1440p ultra a few years from now?
I hope so though I don't care about ultra, just be useful at 1440p at 144hz. That is what I use mine for now. It should be good for a few years. I was getting 114fps in Diablo 4 before I swapped the CPU, I haven't played anything since to see what boost I have from there. That is at max settings for game.

It has enough memory. Its meant to be a 4k card but I don't see that really.

Depends on if you care about RT as you might want to look at Nvidia then.

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I hope so though I don't care about ultra, just be useful at 1440p at 144hz. That is what I use mine for now. It should be good for a few years.

It has enough memory. Its meant to be a 4k card but I don't see that really.

Depends on if you care about RT as you might want to look at Nvidia then.
I do care somewhat about RT (only because I have not played any other game that has it except Minecraft) but I am dissatisfied with Nvidia's 40 series, but I know that (according to @Avro Arrow) the 7900xtx has RT performance to the 3090. I am not sure about the 7900xt, but I have an interesting conundrum where I want good RT performance but I don't want to go with Nvidia for an upgrade (given their history of screwing over consumers with overpriced GPUs) and I know AMD's RT performance isn't as good, but Intel's drivers are not great. I don't really know what to do in this situation. Also is this cooler good (or at least adequate) for a 7700x because it is the cooler I have in my system. (updated sig to show it, can't believe I forgot to put it in beforehand.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Some moderators have more abilities than others. Mainly admin ones, and its restricted to a few for security reasons. Apart from them, the only people who can change them are admin. I can't even change my own... not that I can think of a new name :)
I am surprised that mods can't change their own name. I can see a situation where a mod has to ask another mod to change their username and the mod replies (thinking that just because they can, that all mods are able to) why can't you? I think your current name is good and I don't think you need to change it. Why are you thinking about changing it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
7900xt is equal to a 3090 in RT. Its a pretty good jump from starting one generation behind Nvidia.

I can't tell you what its RT is like as I don't have any games that use it. I assume that will change one day. Only spots I can see it is in benchmarks and I don't have many of those that use it. 3d mark time spy does:

TtOKjUR.jpg

this could help

https://www.techspot.com/review/2589-amd-radeon-7900-xt/ (note: forza results are using old drivers, AMD fixed performance on that game since this)

Since its price is dropping and you can get them for $750 now, I don't see why not.

GPU doesn't really care about AIO, Since its for CPU. Where you put it also doesn't matter to GPU.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
7900xt is equal to a 3090 in RT. Its a pretty good jump from starting one generation behind Nvidia.

I can't tell you what its RT is like as I don't have any games that use it. I assume that will change one day. Only spots I can see it is in benchmarks and I don't have many of those that use it. 3d mark time spy does:

TtOKjUR.jpg

this could help

https://www.techspot.com/review/2589-amd-radeon-7900-xt/ (note: forza results are using old drivers, AMD fixed performance on that game since this)

Since its price is dropping and you can get them for $750 now, I don't see why not.

GPU doesn't really care about AIO, Since its for CPU. Where you put it also doesn't matter to GPU.
My AIO question was referring to my CPU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
oh. looking at its specs it seems like it should be capable of keeping your CPU cool. https://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/146/name/FROSTFLOW X 240

I don't find many recent reviews, so the AIO it compared to here don't mean a lot to me - https://www.tomshardware.com/review...40l-closed-loop-liquid-cpu-cooler,4371-2.html (this could be an older model, its been around 8 years with slightly different version numbers)

it doesn't seem that much better than a heatsink fan (admittedly its a Noctua) whereas most Water coolers beat them pretty easy

it appears like they kept changing model a little with maybe better fans but really needed to fix radiator or something as rest of market caught up. It used to be highly rated 8 years ago.

but I wouldn't rush out to replace it unless you running hot.

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
oh. looking at its specs it seems like it should be capable of keeping your CPU cool. https://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/146/name/FROSTFLOW X 240

I don't find many recent reviews, so the AIO it compared to here don't mean a lot to me - https://www.tomshardware.com/review...40l-closed-loop-liquid-cpu-cooler,4371-2.html (this could be an older model, its been around 8 years with slightly different version numbers)

it doesn't seem that much better than a heatsink fan (admittedly its a Noctua) whereas most Water coolers beat them pretty easy

it appears like they kept changing model a little with maybe better fans but really needed to fix radiator or something as rest of market caught up. It used to be highly rated 8 years ago.

but I wouldn't rush out to replace it unless you running hot.
My CPU was running hot because I had overclocked it, but with what we have discussed, I am going to revert everything back to stock and undervolt. Not that my CPU needed it anyway, because my GPU is actually the bottleneck (For Beamng and AFAIK Fortnite as well) even at 1080p.

TRENDING THREADS