Question Is PCIE 2.0 GPU compatible to keep with 12th Gen i3 CPU and B660/H670 mobo?

MoeDR

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
Disclaimer: I DO NOT use my computer for gaming.

Hello,

I am going to upgrade my current setup from i5-8400/Asus prime Z370-P to a B660 D4 mobo and i3-12100 or 12100f depending on whether my current GPU is compatible. That is a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6770 specs here and further specs here looks like PCIe 2.1.

I run three monitors so I am trying to determine if the GPU I have is/will be compatible with the hardware I am planning to upgrade to. That will make a difference in the purchase of the CPU with or without onboard graphics.

The rest of the items I am planning to keep:
RAM: 32Gb DDR4 3000 but running at 2133
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M
SSD: Crucial MX500 250GB 2280SS

(I plan on adding another M2 SSD 2TB max to replace my aging 1TB spinning hard drive.

I also understand there may be value in simply upgrading to 10th gen i3-10100 or others with compatible lga 1200 mobo but I prefer to upgrade to the latest technology. I do welcome input however on pro/cons. TIA

Moe

MoeDR

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
Its compatible and would work. Not sure if 12100(f) is a good value considering the boards cost over $100
Jacob,
Thanks for verifying that. You're right, the mobos I'm looking at for now are in the $160-$185 range. Waiting may not be a good option in the current market with supply chain issues affecting most items. The boards on the specs for both H670/B660 list slots for PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 that is why I was confused. I'm guessing all those slots are backwards compatible?

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Jacob,
Thanks for verifying that. You're right, the mobos I'm looking at for now are in the $160-$185 range. Waiting may not be a good option in the current market with supply chain issues affecting most items. The boards on the specs for both H670/B660 list slots for PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 that is why I was confused. I'm guessing all those slots are backwards compatible?
yeah they are backwards compatible. The i3 10100f is $80 right now and paired with a $80-$90 b560 motherboard that would be a great combo. Or if you want more cores the i5 10400 is around $150

Reactions: artk2219 and MoeDR
As already said

Hello,

I am going to upgrade my current setup from i5-8400/Asus prime Z370-P to a B660 D4 mobo and i3-12100 or 12100f depending on whether my current GPU is compatible. That is a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6770 specs here and further specs here looks like PCIe 2.1.

I run three monitors so I am trying to determine if the GPU I have is/will be compatible with the hardware I am planning to upgrade to. That will make a difference in the purchase of the CPU with or without onboard graphics.

(I plan on adding another M2 SSD 2TB max to replace my aging 1TB spinning hard drive.

I also understand there may be value in simply upgrading to 10th gen i3-10100 or others with compatible lga 1200 mobo but I prefer to upgrade to the latest technology. I do welcome input however on pro/cons. TIA

Moe
As already said, pcie is backwards compatible which means any combination of versions between Motherboard and GPU will work.

A question if I may, why do you use the ram at base speed without XMP?

Also, what will this PC will be used for? I am asking because you might benefit more from a different CPU with more cores or unlocked multiplier.

MoeDR

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
As already said

As already said, pcie is backwards compatible which means any combination of versions between Motherboard and GPU will work.

A question if I may, why do you use the ram at base speed without XMP?

Also, what will this PC will be used for? I am asking because you might benefit more from a different CPU with more cores or unlocked multiplier.

Hi, to get at your question, I use it for some work at home, running most MS office products, some editing with Visio, and MS project work along with some photo editing. Of course the usual internet surfing, research, YouTube, streaming, and so on. I realize I may have more specs than needed for that but like to keep it running smoothly.

Hi, to get at your question, I use it for some work at home, running most MS office products, some editing with Visio, and MS project work along with some photo editing. Of course the usual internet surfing, research, YouTube, streaming, and so on. I realize I may have more specs than needed for that but like to keep it running smoothly.
I understand your need to have it run smoothly. A good SSD and the enabling of XMP will be a very good boost and very similar to the upgrade of platform for a fraction of cost. It's more than enough for what you need it for since the CPU is more than capable.
Also as another fellow contributor said, the CPU you chose is mostly sidegrade.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I understand your need to have it run smoothly. A good SSD and the enabling of XMP will be a very good boost and very similar to the upgrade of platform for a fraction of cost. It's more than enough for what you need it for since the CPU is more than capable.
Also as another fellow contributor said, the CPU you chose is mostly sidegrade.
yeah I agree that a CPU upgrade really isn't needed for what you are doing.

Reactions: artk2219

MoeDR

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
Why? That in no way can be viewed as an upgrade.
More like a side-grade - going from 6core/6thread to 4core/8thread system.

Consider upgrading to i7-8700 instead. You won't even need to reinstall windows for this.

Yes you're right and I do see your point of it not being seen as an upgrade but I recognize that I don't need an i5/i7 to do what I am doing either. I think the specs of the i3 are more than capable being newer tech as well and when I upgrade to WIN11.

It is interesting to consider the i7-8700 but isn't that even more chip than needed?

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Yes you're right and I do see your point of it not being seen as an upgrade but I recognize that I don't need an i5/i7 to do what I am doing either. I think the specs of the i3 are more than capable being newer tech as well and when I upgrade to WIN11.

It is interesting to consider the i7-8700 but isn't that even more chip than needed?
it is more chip than you need so I don't think you really need to upgrade then right?

Hello,

Moe
I don't understand the reasoning for upgrading your system. I'm also wondering why you have a Z series motherboard and are not running the ram at it's rated spec, because that is going to drop your performance by 20-30% in programs and tasks that are memory sensitive. Unless you need the faster per core performance of the 12100, the multicore performance is probably going to be similar or around a 10-15% difference.

You can still use the HD6770 for more monitors if you upgraded and used the iGPU of a new Intel or AMD CPU. Judging from benchmark data, the HD 6770 is slower than a GT 1030 or even the iGPU of the Ryzen 5 5600G. If you're not gaming on the system, even the Intel iGPU on the 12100 is probably more than enough for 2 monitors. This year CPUs with much better iGPUs should be released if you need the same or better graphics performance. The biggest issue you will likely have is if you need higher than 1440p resolution, as the HD 6770 only supports up to 1440p.

Recommending anything is difficult without knowing what you are doing with the system now and what you plan to do in the future. You might be better served getting a GPU that will support 3-4 displays at 4K resolution if required and keeping the system you have. Also make sure your ram is running at it's advertised spec.

Last edited:
not trying to be one of those people but I just want to make sure op isn't confused or mislead. Im guessing its just a typo, 12100f doesn't have any igpu. that's what the f on the end means.
Oh yeah... wrote that in the middle of cooking supper and wasn't even paying attention that the OP said 12100F instead of just 12100. Still though, OP should really consider why they want to upgrade in the first place since they didn't really say why they felt it was a good plan.

MoeDR
If I was going to upgrade, I'd be looking for at least double the CPU threads of the i5-8400 and pick at minimum an i5-10400 or 11400 and B560 motherboard (for memory overclocking) or a 12400 with a DDR4 H670 or B660 motherboard. Ryzen 5000 is really only an option if you already have an 400/500 series motherboard since it's a more expensive upgrade for the full platform and CPU than a faster 12400/F and B660.

Reactions: jacob249358

MoeDR

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
Hi all and thanks to everyone for the feedback/alternate options. I think I will keep what I have and just change the old 1TB spinning drive to a 2TB M.2. The board I have now Asus prime z30-p specs here support an additional M2 which I didn't think it did.

I upgraded the RAM recently from 16 to 32 and I noticed a difference right away in some of the apps' performance. Even though I do like the option of having newer tech, it makes more sense to keep things as is. Again thanks to all.

Moe

Jan 25, 2022

Hello,

Moe
I think keeping i-5 change your CPU and graphic.Beside you know i-5 (6 generation) is better than i-3 (10 generation ) according to my experience.

MoeDR

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
I don't understand the reasoning for upgrading your system. I'm also wondering why you have a Z series motherboard and are not running the ram at it's rated spec, because that is going to drop your performance by 20-30% in programs and tasks that are memory sensitive. Unless you need the faster per core performance of the 12100, the multicore performance is probably going to be similar or around a 10-15% difference.

You can still use the HD6770 for more monitors if you upgraded and used the iGPU of a new Intel or AMD CPU. Judging from benchmark data, the HD 6770 is slower than a GT 1030 or even the iGPU of the Ryzen 5 5600G. If you're not gaming on the system, even the Intel iGPU on the 12100 is probably more than enough for 2 monitors. This year CPUs with much better iGPUs should be released if you need the same or better graphics performance. The biggest issue you will likely have is if you need higher than 1440p resolution, as the HD 6770 only supports up to 1440p.

Recommending anything is difficult without knowing what you are doing with the system now and what you plan to do in the future. You might be better served getting a GPU that will support 3-4 displays at 4K resolution if required and keeping the system you have. Also make sure your ram is running at it's advertised spec.

Third-Eye,
I run 3 monitors so adding the GPU gave me the option to add the 3rd monitor. As far as the i3 F or non F, that is what i was asking if my GPU was compatible with a B660 mobo and i3-12100f since i know the F doesn't have OBG so keeping the GPU for that as long as it was compatible.

TRENDING THREADS