[SOLVED] Is performance of my processor lacking?

Aug 13, 2019
Hello!

I've finally upgraded to i7 4790k which I honestly thought was gonna be a killer, but now I'm not so sure

So my issue is that, Battlefield 1 is gonna serve as an example, with my gtx 1070 zotac mini, which is I think pretty strong GPU for newer titles like bf1(though it's not new it has pretty high requirements) but I don't have any knowledge about computers so correct me if I'm wrong, I have 8gb of ram and my motherboard is ASUS h97 pro gamer and I don't have SSD yet(though I don't think it influences FPS), just for the record

Getting straight to the problem, I expected to have a really high performance, as I'm playing on the lowest possible settings in bf1 I thought I'd see something around 200fps, and to my disappointment it's been sitting at around I believe 90-120fps depending on Field of View

As I said I don't really have knowledge about this sort of stuff so I don't know if I was hoping for something impossible to get in this price range, or is something wrong with my PC?

I have a little bonus question, is field of view supposed to influence mouse input lag? because at the highest FOV possible it was kinda unplayable, annoying to say the least, and I thought I'd get rid of any significant input lag in games like bf1 or The division 2 with my new processor, not that I'd want to play at highest FOV, I think around 90 horizontally is enough, but I do feel a difference between whatever standard FOV horizontally is and the 90 degrees I wanted to use

also, if I'd ever want to get 144hz monitor, to get the most out of it, would it also mean that I'd have to upgrade either CPU or GPU again?

Solution
Increasing FOV increases the amount of distant geometry that needs to be aggregated by the CPU to send to the GPU, which increases the amount of RAM, RAM bandwidth and CPU/GPU load. You may want to keep an eye on disk activity to see whether frame rate dips correlate with disk IO. If it does, then extra RAM would help with keeping more of that geometry in-memory so it does not need to get reloaded from storage/swap.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
It's not going to be terrible, but it's not going to give you the best performance with it being 5 generations old. What did you upgrade from? Also, are you using 1 stick of memory with that 8 gigs? Or two 4 gig sticks? If only one stick, you're missing out on dual channel memory, which can increase your performance to a certain degree.

Aug 13, 2019
Maybe there's a simpler problem, like a lot of backgroud apps or maybe a computer virus? Or maybe you need to defragment your drive.
Well I reinstalled windows like 2 months ago, and haven't downloaded anything other than games really and I was mostly visiting sites like facebook, basically nothing weird

I have ordered ssd though, and it should be delivered by now, so I'll see if ssd will improve anything

Kyle610

Commendable
May 7, 2017
There’s definitely something wrong. Any i7 with a 1070 any brand and 8gb ram will run Battlefield 1. An SSD will increase performance and loading times, but nothing too big. Unless there’s damage to the hardware your specs should easily run bf1 at 60+ FPS on all high.
You should try adjusting the boost on the processor, there’s a guide on here somewhere for it.
Try adjusting power levels in system in control panel.
Try defragging your Hard Drive
If it’s near full try clearing out some space.
If none of this works and none of the solutions listed above work let us know so we can dwelve a little deeper to help out.

Aug 13, 2019
https://prnt.sc/ou73fj This is an hour of benchmarking I've done after placing i7 in my PC

I will finally install SSD today or tomorow and defrag HDD then, though I've done this like 2 months ago already so it is very weird, I'll look for the guide on processor boosting but I don't really get the adjusting power levels part, maybe the benchmark(dunno if I can call it that) screenshot will help

I also have to add that I've done some testing, and playing Battlefield 1(still everything on lowest settings except for mesh quality) and usage of processor according to Task Manager was between 80-90% all the time, GPU was about the same, but it was sometimes peaking to probably even 99% while CPU was very stable with its usage

It's been suggested to me on World of Tanks forum and reddit that it's my DDR3 RAM 1600MHz(unoverclockable) that's the bottleneck here, but I don't know anything about PCs so I'll just throw it here for you to judge

90-120fps in BF1 on an i7 4790k sounds about right actually. On my current (soon to be replaced) i7 2600k oc'ed to 4.1Ghz and GTX 1070 I got up to 100FPS and averaged around 85 fps in Battlefield 1 when I played it. I only got up to 80fps in the Battlefield 5 beta.

InvalidError

Titan
Increasing FOV increases the amount of distant geometry that needs to be aggregated by the CPU to send to the GPU, which increases the amount of RAM, RAM bandwidth and CPU/GPU load. You may want to keep an eye on disk activity to see whether frame rate dips correlate with disk IO. If it does, then extra RAM would help with keeping more of that geometry in-memory so it does not need to get reloaded from storage/swap.

Solution
Hello!

I've finally upgraded to i7 4790k which I honestly thought was gonna be a killer, but now I'm not so sure

So my issue is that, Battlefield 1 is gonna serve as an example, with my gtx 1070 zotac mini, which is I think pretty strong GPU for newer titles like bf1(though it's not new it has pretty high requirements) but I don't have any knowledge about computers so correct me if I'm wrong, I have 8gb of ram and my motherboard is ASUS h97 pro gamer and I don't have SSD yet(though I don't think it influences FPS), just for the record

Getting straight to the problem, I expected to have a really high performance, as I'm playing on the lowest possible settings in bf1 I thought I'd see something around 200fps, and to my disappointment it's been sitting at around I believe 90-120fps depending on Field of View

As I said I don't really have knowledge about this sort of stuff so I don't know if I was hoping for something impossible to get in this price range, or is something wrong with my PC?

I have a little bonus question, is field of view supposed to influence mouse input lag? because at the highest FOV possible it was kinda unplayable, annoying to say the least, and I thought I'd get rid of any significant input lag in games like bf1 or The division 2 with my new processor, not that I'd want to play at highest FOV, I think around 90 horizontally is enough, but I do feel a difference between whatever standard FOV horizontally is and the 90 degrees I wanted to use

also, if I'd ever want to get 144hz monitor, to get the most out of it, would it also mean that I'd have to upgrade either CPU or GPU again?

Test in more than just BF1, you are getting about what you should be with your setup in the 100fps range. Run 3DMark and compare scores on that.