Question Is RTX 3060 Ti Overkill for 1280x1024 square monitor?

Mar 5, 2022
So, i just ordered a pc with a rtx 3060 ti and im wondering if its a little bit overkill for 1280x1024 square monitor?

Dont have much experience with higher end gpus so i want ur opinion about this

Spent all money on a pc and now i dont have money for a 1080p monitor so yeah

So, i just ordered a pc with a rtx 3060 ti and im wondering if its a little bit overkill for 1280x1024 square monitor?

Do you plan to get a 1080p monitor in the future?

What’s the rest of the pc spec including make and model of the psu?

Is your 1280x1024 monitor 60Hz and what sockets does it have?

Mar 5, 2022
Do you plan to get a 1080p monitor in the future?

What’s the rest of the pc spec including make and model of the psu?

Is your 1280x1024 monitor 60Hz and what sockets does it have?
1. if i have money then yeah obviously

2. ryzen 5 5600x (water cooled) 3600mhz ram corsair vengenace 16gb
corsair mp600 1tb nvme ssd motherboard aorus elite v2 and the psu is silentium pc supremo l2 gold 650w

3. its an iiyama plc1911s it only has an vga output and some composites so i need to buy an displayport to vga converter

1. if i have money then yeah obviously

2. ryzen 5 5600x (water cooled) 3600mhz ram corsair vengenace 16gb
corsair mp600 1tb nvme ssd motherboard aorus elite v2 and the psu is silentium pc supremo l2 gold 650w

3. its an iiyama plc1911s it only has an vga output and some composites so i need to buy an displayport to vga converter

Ok, you don’t have integrated cpu graphics. At such a low resolution you might have been ok with the graphics of say a 5600G for example.

The 3060Ti would be massive overkill for this resolution. However if you plan to upgrade to 1080p then you can get the 3060Ti ready for your monitor upgrade. Have you considered a 3060? Here in the UK the difference in price is nearly enough to get a 1080p monitor.

Mar 5, 2022
Ok, you don’t have integrated cpu graphics. At such a low resolution you might have been ok with the graphics of say a 5600G for example.

The 3060Ti would be massive overkill for this resolution. However if you plan to upgrade to 1080p then you can get the 3060Ti ready for your monitor upgrade. Have you considered a 3060? Here in the UK the difference in price is nearly enough to get a 1080p monitor.
nope i cant consider the 3060 since i already ordered the pc

nope i cant consider the 3060 since i already ordered the pc
Shame, I think that would have given a much better gaming experience. The monitor you have looks like an old office type, I would not be surprised if it also has high response times and input lag, even an entry level 1080p 144Hz would be a huge upgrade and fit your new system well. It won’t hurt using your existing monitor but you won’t be making anywhere near full use of your new systems gaming potential.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

It's like getting a sports car to use it in your back yard.
That PC should be using 1080p 144Hz minimum or even better, 1440p 144Hz.

Mar 5, 2022
Shame, I think that would have given a much better gaming experience. The monitor you have looks like an old office type, I would not be surprised if it also has high response times and input lag, even an entry level 1080p 144Hz would be a huge upgrade and fit your new system well. It won’t hurt using your existing monitor but you won’t be making anywhere near full use of your new systems gaming potential.
it would sure wish i had money for a 144hz monitor tho if i cant even afford a 25$ one rn xD

Mar 5, 2022
It's like getting a sports car to use it in your back yard.
That PC should be using 1080p 144Hz minimum or even better, 1440p 144Hz.
true i guess well now i have to save for an 144hz monitor but for 6 months minimum ill be stuck with this square one will see how it goes xD

it would sure wish i had money for a 144hz monitor tho if i cant even afford a 25$ one rn xD
But if you had asked before ordering you might have been able to get one. As I mentioned where I am the price difference between a 3060 and 3060Ti is nearly enough to get a 1080p 144Hz monitor. There really wasn’t much point in asking for opinions about a 3060Ti being overkill after you had placed the order.

Mar 5, 2022
But if you had asked before ordering you might have been able to get one. As I mentioned where I am the price difference between a 3060 and 3060Ti is nearly enough to get a 1080p 144Hz monitor. There really wasn’t much point in asking for opinions about a 3060Ti being overkill after you had placed the order.
yea i mean i was just wondering if its overkill or not
but i mean it will last for longer theoritically yes because with games in 2030 the 3060 ti will probably struggle even at 1440p

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a toss up. On the one hand, 1440p looks better, picture is sharper and clearer, better defined, because there's more pixels per Sq.in. than for 1080p. That makes 1440p @ 1.8x more demanding on the gpu per frame.

Meaning while the picture is good enough to turn down detail settings and still get a great picture, with 1080p you'll be maxing out the details, which adds more lighting affects, more close up objects, better viewing distance etc.

The 3060ti can handle either resolution in 98% of games and still get good fps outputs. Just a matter of priority. It's a sweet middling card, a jack of all trades kinda deal.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I would yank the gpu out of the PC, sell it, get a 3050 or 3060 and then get a 1080p 144hz monitor. I was using a 3060 ti on a 15 inch 720p monitor before my new monitor shipped and it felt like a waste. Its like new wine in an old bottle.

The 3060ti can handle either resolution in 98% of games and still get good fps outputs. Just a matter of priority. It's a sweet middling card, a jack of all trades kinda deal.
I wouldn't really describe it as a "middling card", as it's arguably still pretty high-end compared to the cards in the vast majority of modern gaming systems. Performance-wise, the 3060 Ti is typically slightly ahead of Nvidia's 2080 SUPER from their previous generation of cards, and only around 10-15% behind the 2080 Ti, which was the fastest consumer graphics card up until a little over a year ago. It's a good fit for 1440p high-refresh screens, though it should also run most existing games reasonably well at native 4K using "high" settings.

And yes, I would say it's absolutely overkill for 1280x1024, especially since most modern games will probably be best rendered at a 16:9 resolution of 1280x720 on that screen, a quarter the resolution of 1440p. It's okay to use such a display for the time being, though the graphics card will be underutilized in virtually all games. I would definitely look into getting a new monitor relatively soon, so that you can benefit from the increased pixel density and smoother frame rates that card is capable of. 1440p might be nice, but even 1080p 144Hz should be a good upgrade, and be capable of displaying the high frame rates that card is capable of at that resolution. Even a standard-refresh screen at a higher resolution than what you have could be an improvement, though high-refresh 144+Hz "gaming" monitors with adaptive sync (freesync/g-sync) often don't cost too much more. If you have a 1080p or 4K television, you might also consider hooking your system up to that, though those generally won't support inputs higher than 60Hz.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022
I wouldn't really describe it as a "middling card", as it's arguably still pretty high-end compared to the cards in the vast majority of modern gaming systems. Performance-wise, the 3060 Ti is typically slightly ahead of Nvidia's 2080 SUPER from their previous generation of cards, and only around 10-15% behind the 2080 Ti, which was the fastest consumer graphics card up until a little over a year ago. It's a good fit for 1440p high-refresh screens, though it should also run most existing games reasonably well at native 4K using "high" settings.

And yes, I would say it's absolutely overkill for 1280x1024, especially since most modern games will probably be best rendered at a 16:9 resolution of 1280x720 on that screen, a quarter the resolution of 1440p. It's okay to use such a display for the time being, though the graphics card will be underutilized in virtually all games. I would definitely look into getting a new monitor relatively soon, so that you can benefit from the increased pixel density and smoother frame rates that card is capable of. 1440p might be nice, but even 1080p 144Hz should be a good upgrade, and be capable of displaying the high frame rates that card is capable of at that resolution. Even a standard-refresh screen at a higher resolution than what you have could be an improvement, though high-refresh 144+Hz "gaming" monitors with adaptive sync (freesync/g-sync) often don't cost too much more. If you have a 1080p or 4K television, you might also consider hooking your system up to that, though those generally won't support inputs higher than 60Hz.
i have an tv but its 1366x768+ the delay is huge so its worse than the square monitor

The 3060ti will struggle with today's games @ 1440p.
Please reference! I've not seen one review where a 3060ti 'struggles' with today's games, maybe 4k yes or with one particular game, but is pretty decent at 1440p in anything I play. E.g BF V, FC5. Hitting 144 fps/hz at 1440p on both! It's the same or better performance than a 2080 Super which was designed for 1440p.

Please reference! I've not seen one review where a 3060ti 'struggles' with today's games, maybe 4k yes or with one particular game, but is pretty decent at 1440p in anything I play. E.g BF V, FC5. Hitting 144 fps/hz at 1440p on both! It's the same or better performance than a 2080 Super which was designed for 1440p.
Do you know what year this is? I don't think you do since you're referencing games from 2018. Let's see the numbers for oh say, FC6, Cyberpunk2077, Elden Ring. You're not going to hit 144fps@1440p without turning down a lot of eye candy. Now imagine 8 years from now.

Do you know what year this is? I don't think you do since you're referencing games from 2018. Let's see the numbers for oh say, FC6, Cyberpunk2077, Elden Ring. You're not going to hit 144fps@1440p without turning down a lot of eye candy. Now imagine 8 years from now.
:) Yeah, I do know. I don't really play any of those others you mentioned. Not all new games are as demanding as the ones you've listed. Whilst not all of today's games would hit high hz/fps, a lot will do. Of course you can throw DLSS into the mix to hit higher FPS, with mostly the same quality. Saying the 3060ti 'struggles' is a bit of a stretch. Sure if you're comparing it to a 3090 or 6900XT or something. Looking at the FPS against a 3070 (which is a great 1440p card) you can see they are not hitting 144fps 1440p either. Does that mean a 3070 struggles too? The 3070 is about 5-10% percent faster on average in gaming, sometimes less. What does that translate to? Often just a few FPS. By your logic a 3070 will struggle at 1440p in today's games?

Edit: Ironically, I just noticed you're running a 2080ti. Nice. Given it's just another few percent faster than the 3070 which is slightly faster than the 3060ti, is your GPU 'struggling' at 1440p? ;) But practically most gaming monitors now come with Freesync/G-sync, so smooth, despite not hitting 144hz/fps consistently, still nice to play.

Last edited:
FC6 max settings is nearly indistinguishable from med-high settings which gains huge performance. My 3080 does not get 120fps 1440p anywhere near max settings in Cyberpunk 2077 so making that comparison is moot. Elden ring has a 60fps cap so how would the requirement of getting 144 or 120 fps even matter there? The 3060 ti can nearly max every game at 1440p and for the games you cant easily hit 120 can be changed to high settings and it probably will.

Last edited:

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
FC6 max settings is nearly indistinguishable from med-high settings which gains huge performance. My 3080 does not get 120fps 1440p anywhere near max settings in Cyberpunk 2077 so making that comparison is moot. Elden ring has a 60fps cap so how would the requirement of getting 144 or 120 fps even matter there? The 3060 ti can nearly max every game at 1440p and the ones it can you move to high settings and it probably will.
lol, I was wondering why I couldn't hit more than 60fps. I totally agree with everything you said.

The 3060ti will struggle with today's games @ 1440p.
Those seem like bad examples. From what I've heard, Elden Ring suffers from stuttering issues on any hardware, not because of lack of GPU performance, but because it relies too much on a single CPU thread. And Cyberpunk was released in an incredibly buggy, unoptimized and unfinished state, and is still a mess after more than a year of updates, so it's hard to gather much from that. Far Cry 6 was generally poorly received, but is one example that performs practically identical on a 3060 Ti as it does on a 2080 Ti at 1440p, at least according to this performance comparison...
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/far-cry-6-benchmark-test-performance/4.html

As for 8 years from now, games will undoubtedly be more demanding, but they will still likely be designed to get "playable" performance out of the current new generation of console hardware, and the 3060 Ti is faster than that. New releases then will probably require upscaling, and of course graphics options will need to be turned down, but I don't think anyone is expecting to run games at max settings on an 8 year old graphics card, even the highest-end models. And while raytraced lighting effects will likely become more common, the relatively weak RT hardware of the consoles means that standard lighting options and limited RT implementations are likely to stick around for quite some time.

Also, a card not hitting 144fps at 1440p in a AAA game is by no means "struggling", and no graphics card on the market today can manage that in all titles, particularly since many will be limited by CPU performance. And for most AAA games, really high frame rates might be nice to have, but ultimately don't matter all that much as far as playability is concerned. A high refresh rate screen opens up the ability to display smoother frame rates in games that can manage them, but a non-competitive game operating at lower frame rates can be perfectly fine too.