Question Is Ryzen 7100 overclockable with my motherboard?

May 28, 2019
Hey guys, I am currently building a new system and it is my first build.

These are the specs: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fHHwLJ

Can I overclock the Ryzen 7 1700 using the motherboard I choice? If so, what would be the limit?

Would there be any bottlenecking?

Does the ASRock B450 PRO4 come with an RGB fan header for my CPU cooler?

My PC Case came with 6 fans, how can I connect all of these to my motherboard with PWM working?

Would there be a problem with my RAM? Would I be able to run it at 3000Mhz?

What PSU wattage would be good for my PC?

Thanks.

g-unit1111

Titan
Both B450 and X470 motherboards can overclock any 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen CPU.

If you're using a B450 motherboard, the better purchase would be an R5-2600 since it's only about 30 quid more. And you will not run into the RAM issues that the first generation Ryzen did. You could also upgrade your RAM to DDR4-3200 just to be on the safe side.

As far as PSU wattage goes that particular card doesn't draw a lot of power. I would look at 550W - 650W but don't go cheap (Seasonic / EVGA / Corsair RM/HX). But if you can get a GTX 1660TI, that would be a better purchase than an RX580 would at this point. What is your overall budget?

May 28, 2019
My overall budget was £500 but I have to go over due to the PSU.

I don’t want to change the Ryzen 7 1700 as I think it is the best bang for my buck as I get 2 extra cores. What can I do instead in order to insure that I have no ram issues?

g-unit1111

Titan
My overall budget was £500 but I have to go over due to the PSU.

I don’t want to change the Ryzen 7 1700 as I think it is the best bang for my buck as I get 2 extra cores. What can I do instead in order to insure that I have no ram issues?

Mainly BIOS updates. The RAM issues come when you start overclocking, and depending on how high you go, that's when you can run intop problems. Those two extra cores may not be of any use depending on what kind of games and applications you plan to use.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was of the understanding that the issues with RAM went more in hand with the motherboard than the chip, exactly?

So far as I know the only limitation you would have in regards to RAM (checked against mobo QVL) would be speed as limited by the CPU. I know that personally I cannot get a stable RAM OC beyond ~3000 with my 1700/X370 mobo.

May 28, 2019
Is there any idea of the limit of RAM speed for my specific motherboard?

If it can’t go to 3000mhz, should I just consider getting lower frequency ram?

g-unit1111

Titan
Is there any idea of the limit of RAM speed for my specific motherboard?

If it can’t go to 3000mhz, should I just consider getting lower frequency ram?

There's no real specified higher limit. Most of the ultra high end speeds are enabled through XMP / DOCP and some serious overclocking, and even then it's no guarantee that your system will run stably on those speeds. Most of the time RAM speed is whatever the motherboard defaults to, and on B350/B450/X370/X470 the default speed is DDR4-2133 and you have to manually enable the higher speeds.

May 28, 2019
I decided to change the motherboard to a ASRock B450m Steel Legend although I have a slight problem. My PC Case came with 6 fans but there are only 2 PWM fan headers. How can I connect all 6 fans?

Also, the R7 1700 comes with a the Wraith Cooler that has RGB, where do I connect the cable to on my motherboard and is it possible to sync that RGB to the Gigabyte RX 580’s RGB?