[SOLVED] Is Sets coming back to Windows?

Solution
Announced in 2017:
Windows Timeline is a new feature coming to the Microsoft desktop (at last!) that should make organizing your desktop much easier. It will eventually be paired with the freshly announced Sets, a promising way to group associated items from your history so you can instantly restore any project you’re working on — the windows you were looking at, the apps you had open, the websites you forgot to bookmark, and more.

mentioned in 2020 - https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-sets-could-be-coming-back/

but nothing since... except windows 11 and they removed timelines completely in it, and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Announced in 2017:
Windows Timeline is a new feature coming to the Microsoft desktop (at last!) that should make organizing your desktop much easier. It will eventually be paired with the freshly announced Sets, a promising way to group associated items from your history so you can instantly restore any project you’re working on — the windows you were looking at, the apps you had open, the websites you forgot to bookmark, and more.

mentioned in 2020 - https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-sets-could-be-coming-back/

but nothing since... except windows 11 and they removed timelines completely in it, and this feature is still something that would be nice to have, if tied to virtual desktops.

I don't know if they will ever release it on 10. Its possible it was all planned before the pandemic changed lots of plans.

Last edited:
Reactions: modeonoff
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is hard to get google to not offer Server level software when you search "Desktop management application"

one suggestion I find is this but program is more for multi monitor setups.
It can remember layouts so might be close to what you wanted - https://www.displayfusion.com/Features/WindowPositionProfiles/
its more for pre set layouts, not random ones.

the remembering unsaved bookmarks? i think most browsers can be set to open on last tabs, that might be as close as you get.

Timelines never expanded past being Microsoft programs. So if you don't have Office and don't use Edge its usefulness was probably not exploited as well as it could have. So I guess that Sets are still on a to do list

I have been waiting since 2015 for multi desktops to be useful and remember what was on them last time. Just open applications would be enough. Windows 11 they added the "ability" for desktop wallpapers to be different... 5 years progress right there... at this rate will it ever be useful?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. That looks good. Having multi-monitor support is even better.
I have tried the demo version of Groupy. The software looks OK but support from that company is bad. Just like existing customers, I was pointed to post on their forum which is not helpful. Hesitate to give them my money.

Colif

Win 11 Master
op asked about win 10, not win 11.

And the "sets" in this example is just a tabbed interface for file explorer which doesn't strike me as useful or even same idea as having PC remember whats on desktop at a given time.

what Sets will be on release is unclear, 5 years on they seem to have changed what it is.

Reactions: modeonoff