[SOLVED] Is Socket 771 System Still A Capable Modded Minecraft Server

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Essentially, there's an ad for a $10 server; has everything but the ram and second CPU. Even if I have to buy them myself, that's $30ish more. RAM I can get for dirt cheap.

I also want to set up a small test database for homework and stuff as well.

Is it worth even bothering with this?

Solution
I have a few of these servers and they pack quite a punch for how cheap they are. Load them up with dual core processors and you have a lot of threads at your disposal. They also can load up on a lot of ram, so they work well even hosting virtual machines.

Their only drawback is power as once you load them up, they can eat some power for sure when compared to a later generation server with similar specs.

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Essentially, there's an ad for a $10 server; has everything but the ram and second CPU. Even if I have to buy them myself, that's $30ish more. RAM I can get for dirt cheap.

I also want to set up a small test database for homework and stuff as well.

Is it worth even bothering with this?
It's worth a shot for that price. DDR2 is dirt cheap these days.

I have a few of these servers and they pack quite a punch for how cheap they are. Load them up with dual core processors and you have a lot of threads at your disposal. They also can load up on a lot of ram, so they work well even hosting virtual machines.

Their only drawback is power as once you load them up, they can eat some power for sure when compared to a later generation server with similar specs.

Solution

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

How much power are we talking about? If it's equivalent to what my main rig is now (4770k, AIO, MSI r9 390x) then I'm fine with it. Although the most reasonable processor I can get is a couple of E5450s, since the higher models seem to be sold out or way too expensive (Also, do those processors require ECC, or is normal RAM fine).

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
i Used to have a Minecraft server with no mods on a q9400 clocked at 3.6ghz and 8gb of ddr2 800mhz and it rubber banded a lot with only 3 people in it so I figure you can’t expect too much out of those xeons.

How much power are we talking about? If it's equivalent to what my main rig is now (4770k, AIO, MSI r9 390x) then I'm fine with it. Although the most reasonable processor I can get is a couple of E5450s, since the higher models seem to be sold out or way too expensive (Also, do those processors require ECC, or is normal RAM fine).
So I think upon boot my HP DL380 G5 with dual x5460 and 16gb of ram spikes to just over 200w, but then settles down to about 160w.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...eon-E5450-vs-Intel-Xeon-5160/1297vs1236vs1187

No all servers can take the higher wattage processors or even all the higher core versions--check that first before you plan your upgrade. One of my Dell Poweredge 2950 can take quad cores and the other cannot, and I had similar issues on my Dell R410 that cannot take the x-series of xeon processors since they are higher wattage.

If you are limited or don't need so many cores since you have 2x processors, the 5130 is also a good processor if you're looking at the e5450.

i Used to have a Minecraft server with no mods on a q9400 clocked at 3.6ghz and 8gb of ddr2 800mhz and it rubber banded a lot with only 3 people in it so I figure you can’t expect too much out of those xeons.
I have a q9400 and q9550 based system and when I compare them to the 2x 5160 and x5660 based systems, they aren't as solid or as fast. I don't know why, but servers being used as desktops zip even when they're not designed to be a desktop machine.

I just checked speed-battle on my 2x 5160 machine vs my q9550 and the 5160 is a bit faster (657 vs 635), but it also felt much, much zippier. It's a rough benchmark, but gives you some idea because even passmark results show that the q9550 should have had faster single thread performance:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Xeon-5160-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9550/1187vs1049

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10190385
There’s my bench for the q9400 that was when I had the 4gb of Corsair memory in it that’s about on par with a first gen i5 and yet it didn’t handle a mc server that well, it was properly cooled didn’t really go over 68-70c i think he would be happier with a socket 1366 system though I realize those are a decent bit more expensive
The architecture of the lga775 vs a server lga771 is quite different though. fbdimms were created to be able to get around some of the memory limitations of regular ddr2. My HP server cost over $7500 new when it came out back in the day. There are a considerable amount of little refinements that come along at that price point that stretch a platform's serving capabilities to its max.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
So I think upon boot my HP DL380 G5 with dual x5460 and 16gb of ram spikes to just over 200w, but then settles down to about 160w.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...eon-E5450-vs-Intel-Xeon-5160/1297vs1236vs1187

No all servers can take the higher wattage processors or even all the higher core versions--check that first before you plan your upgrade. One of my Dell Poweredge 2950 can take quad cores and the other cannot, and I had similar issues on my Dell R410 that cannot take the x-series of xeon processors since they are higher wattage.

If you are limited or don't need so many cores since you have 2x processors, the 5130 is also a good processor if you're looking at the e5450.
That's not too bad, thanks.