Is Stock CPU Cooler ok for gaming?

Brianperez

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Ok so I'm going to use a stock CPU Cooler when I play video games, I don't really understand what overclocking is but I think I saw somewhere that the EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SSC automatically overclocks which I do not want. Is this true? Can play with a stock CPU Cooler?

Solution
It depends on your CPU's TDP. Most locked CPUs (for example, Intel i5-7600 at 65W TDP) have lower TDP than unlocked CPUs (for example, Intel i5-7600K at 91W TDP) which has higher TDP. Hence, stock CPU coolers are often included in the box of those locked CPUs which you can use. Unlocked CPUs are designed for overclocking and usually does not come with a stock cooler. You can still safely use the stock CPU cooler (even during gaming), but, don't expect great results/lower temperatures than using aftermarket CPU coolers.
It depends on your CPU's TDP. Most locked CPUs (for example, Intel i5-7600 at 65W TDP) have lower TDP than unlocked CPUs (for example, Intel i5-7600K at 91W TDP) which has higher TDP. Hence, stock CPU coolers are often included in the box of those locked CPUs which you can use. Unlocked CPUs are designed for overclocking and usually does not come with a stock cooler. You can still safely use the stock CPU cooler (even during gaming), but, don't expect great results/lower temperatures than using aftermarket CPU coolers.

Solution
Sure you can. The only difference between stock and aftermarket are CPU temps - obviously with aftermarket they will be lower. But still stock cooler is build to keep your CPU cold enough (=keep it from throttling) even when at full load (=gaming).
As for GPU, it can overclock itself (within boundaries specified by its manufacturer, and known to be safe for it) - but it CAN'T overclock CPU.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
cpu cooler does not affect the gpu cooler

overclocking can be done on gpu, cpu or in both, but the gpu will not overclock your cpu, at all

you must overclock your cpu

the gpu can be left alone and it can overclokc itself a bit or you can overclock it a bit more by using msi afterburner or similar tools

if you plan on overcloking your cpu on the stock cooler, the temperatures will raise alot, the cooler will not be able to handle it and you will have lots of issues

also the noise, with lots of heat, lots of noise from the cpu fan, so if you plan to overclok your cpu, you need to handle temperature properly and while doing that handling the noise

what cpu do you have?

Brianperez

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
cpu cooler does not affect the gpu cooler

overclocking can be done on gpu, cpu or in both, but the gpu will not overclock your cpu, at all

you must overclock your cpu

the gpu can be left alone and it can overclokc itself a bit or you can overclock it a bit more by using msi afterburner or similar tools

if you plan on overcloking your cpu on the stock cooler, the temperatures will raise alot, the cooler will not be able to handle it and you will have lots of issues

also the noise, with lots of heat, lots of noise from the cpu fan, so if you plan to overclok your cpu, you need to handle temperature properly and while doing that handling the noise

what cpu do you have?
I have a intel i5 6500 3.22 Ghz quad core and also I do not plan on overclocking my cpu