[SOLVED] Is the B450 TOMAHAWK MAX comparable with Intel processors??

Jul 25, 2020
I recently found out my motherbaord and processor were bottlenecking my RTX 2080 super so I decided to upgrade. I bought an i7- 9700k processor only to find out my motherboard was not comparable with an i7. After browsing the internet for a new motherboard, I found the B450 tomahawk Max but all the reviews were only talking about Ryzen CPUs. Will this motherboard take my processor? If not what would be a better option for my CPU and GPU?

edit: wrong generation of CPU, not an i9 but an i7

Last edited:
Solution
You are going in 2 different circles and trying to get a single result.

Cpu sets the fps limit according to game code
Gpu lives upto that limit or fails according to detail levels and resolution.

2 different things.

The 2080S isn't bottlenecking the cpu, or vice versa. Can't happen. Doesn't work that way.

The cpu pre-renders the frames, every single one. It takes the game code and sets every object, relationship, collision, variable, partical etc into that frame. It can only do this X amount of times per second, that's the fps limit. That gets sent to the gpu.

The gpu finish renders what the cpu sent it. Adds colors, depth, clarity etc according to whatever detail settings you chose at whatever resolution you specify...
No, that’s an AMD motherboard. To give you options we need to know which i9 you have? Also the i9’s require high end motherboard, high end cooling and a strong psu. What’s the full pc spec including psu and cpu cooler? There is nothing cheap about right running any i9, a suitable motherboard will be twice the price of the board you were looking at.

What was your previous motherboard and cpu? What resolution and Hz is your monitor?

Jul 25, 2020
No, that’s an AMD motherboard. To give you options we need to know which i9 you have? Also the i9’s require high end motherboard, high end cooling and a strong psu. What’s the full pc spec including psu and cpu cooler? There is nothing cheap about right running any i9, a suitable motherboard will be twice the price of the board you were looking at.

What was your previous motherboard and cpu? What resolution and Hz is your monitor?
My bad, the CPU is an i7-9700k. I’m fairly new to building PCs so I apologize for any errors or terms I may not know.
My current motherboard is a Maximus VII hero,
my CPU is an i7-6700k with 16 gigs of RAM
My GPU is an RTX 2080 super
And My power supply is a EVGA 600W
And my monitor has 144HZ

You want a decent Z390 motherboard with a good CPU cooler. What resolution are you running and why did you think the 6700k was bottlenecking your system.

What EVGA 600w? They do both garbage and good units.

You will also want to reinstall Windows after changing the motherboard.

Jul 25, 2020
You want a decent Z390 motherboard with a good CPU cooler. What resolution are you running and why did you think the 6700k was bottlenecking your system.

What EVGA 600w? They do both garbage and good units.

You will also want to reinstall Windows after changing the motherboard.

I’m running at 1080p and I figured because my games would run at above 120 frames on ultra settings but the constant stuttering and frame jerks were making it hard to actaully max out said settings. Even on low the stuttering was bad. I figured it was a memory issue. Also my power supply is a 600 B

I’m running at 1080p and I figured because my games would run at above 120 frames on ultra settings but the constant stuttering and frame jerks were making it hard to actaully max out said settings. Even on low the stuttering was bad. I figured it was a memory issue. Also my power supply is a 600 B
With 16gb RAM it should not be a memory problem while gaming and that doesn’t sound like a cpu bottleneck. We could have tried to help resolve the original problem.

At 1080p with a 2080 Super you might get a cpu bottleneck in some games with a 6700k but it should still be very playable. The 600B is a low end psu, not terrible but also not one I’d use to run a high end system with a 9700k and 2080 Super.

Jul 25, 2020
With 16gb RAM it should not be a memory problem while gaming and that doesn’t sound like a cpu bottleneck. We could have tried to help resolve the original problem.

At 1080p with a 2080 Super you might get a cpu bottleneck in some games with a 6700k but it should still be very playable. The 600B is a low end psu, not terrible but also not one I’d use to run a high end system with a 9700k and 2080 Super.
They run most games fine, but a few more intensive games the stuttering is very annoying. Would you recommend I buy a new motherboard and power supply? Or is it another issue entirely.

They run most games fine, but a few more intensive games the stuttering is very annoying. Would you recommend I buy a new motherboard and power supply? Or is it another issue entirely.
Don’t you already have the i7 9700k? If yes then at this point you might as well carry on with the upgrade and hope it directly/indirectly fixes the issue. To recap you need a Z390 motherboard for the 9700k and ideally at least a mid range one. You need a reasonable cpu cooler, this cpu takes more cooling than a 6700k so your current cooler may or may not be up to the job. You should reinstall Windows when you change motherboards.

Personally I’d upgrade the psu to a high quality 650w. Something like a Seasonic Focus GX650 or Seasonic Focus PX650 or anything at this high quality level.

Reactions: Ducktower12

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are going in 2 different circles and trying to get a single result.

Cpu sets the fps limit according to game code
Gpu lives upto that limit or fails according to detail levels and resolution.

2 different things.

The 2080S isn't bottlenecking the cpu, or vice versa. Can't happen. Doesn't work that way.

The cpu pre-renders the frames, every single one. It takes the game code and sets every object, relationship, collision, variable, partical etc into that frame. It can only do this X amount of times per second, that's the fps limit. That gets sent to the gpu.

The gpu finish renders what the cpu sent it. Adds colors, depth, clarity etc according to whatever detail settings you chose at whatever resolution you specify.

Some games, they are so intense or have so much going on that you'll get mediocre fps limit, some games are so simple that you get outstanding fps limit. The 2080S is strong enough to paint that picture upto that limit and sometimes beyond, sometimes not, limited by the frequency of the monitor.

You apply generic Ultra settings in game. Some of those settings are cpu bound, they affect what the cpu has to work with in the game code. Like name tags, floating damage etc. The rest are gpu graphics settings, like AA or fog or lighting.

Turn on 4k DSR and the gpu renders in 4k, the tones it down to 1080p for output. Much higher usage. Turn off DLSS and that can affect fps onscreen. Turn On Ray Tracing and that can have a massive affect on the gpu, not hard to drop 100fps output in Minecraft.

Before spending money, I'd suggest you look into your settings, enable or disable Geforce Experience optimizations etc. There's almost always a cure for stutters and its usually in the User defined settings, either in game or global.

Solution