Is The Game Industry Dropping The 60 FPS Standard?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not buy games with 60 FPS caps very often, unless it is spectacular. 30 FPS is unplayable. With the added tactile feel of a mouse, you need much higher FPS for an acceptable feel. Ideally, I need 80+ FPS. I get simulator sickness on any mouse driven game that moves your view with the mouse with less than 80 FPS, though 60 FPS is tolerable, 30 FPS is vomit inducing.

Playing on a couch with a controller is tolerable at 30 FPS, but with a mouse with the monitor so close, it is not acceptable.

And stop with the Cinema crap. Not only does it have motion blur to help hide the low FPS, they are limited in how they can shoot film, otherwise it looks horrid. Any movie that pans a scenic view, without an actor centered in your focus, looks like a choppy mess. Take Cowboys and Aliens, right at the beginning. They pan the camera across a landscape. The outcome is horrible choppiness.

xgamer1500

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014

I agree with everything you said, its just a bunch of BULL. 120hz is taking off now, 4k is taking off now, ABSOLUTELY nobody is going to by a game that is capped at 30 if everyone has moved on to 4k, 120hz displays.

Modern hardware will run everything at 60FPS anyway. Those games that are locked to 30 will be hacked to run @ 60... I'm not sure why you guys are all up in arms. His comments apply to consoles.

Wenever I play my PS4 (or even my PS3 which isn't even able to push 720/30 most of the time) I don't really feel like I'm missing out because the controller is not a twitch-input device anyway.

Ultimately I agree with the guy as long as they make sure not to force a 30 cap on PC versions of their games.

Unfortunately, not all games can remove the cap without serious problems. Sometimes it is because they lock the physics engine to the FPS cap, sometimes they have problems with their game engine.

Sometimes removing the cap is all that is needed, and for those games, they probably won't bother capping it on the PC, but there is no guarantee that a game developed for 30 FPS will behave properly beyond 30 FPS without effort by the dev team.

CAaronD

Honorable
Feb 27, 2014
60 FPS is a great experience, but with my shitty computer I usually have to tolerate an FPS of 30. So I have gotten used to 30. And 20 seems laggy while 30 is smooth, and 40 is my "60".

I assume you meant to type 30 FPS.

Do you play with a mouse or controller? There is a huge difference in experience between the two. With a mouse, the view feels connected to your hands motion. To not feel like it is stuck in mud, you need higher FPS. Controllers disconnect you from the view enough that you don't notice it as much. It feels more like you are remote controlling the view instead of being connected to it.

And there are lots of differences between video and games. Games have freedom of their view, which when panning causes huge choppiness. Movies stay focused on a central actor or scene. Movement on your view, without a central focal point causes lots of problems in movies, which is why it rarely happens. Add in motion blur, and things look decent, but it comes with lots of limitations that aren't controlled in a game environment.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Unity on PC better have a way to run at least 60 FPS. This is the whole reason i got 2 GTX 980's and a Gsync Monitor. For Unity and Farcry 4. the amount of hate mail and bad press ubisoft will get if they dont unlock FPS on PC will be insurmountable.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Unity on PC better have a way to run at least 60 FPS. This is the whole reason i got 2 GTX 980's and a Gsync Monitor. For Unity and Farcry 4. the amount of hate mail and bad press ubisoft will get if they dont unlock FPS on PC will be insurmountable.

Sempytender

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Just to clarify.. The person who made these ridiculous claims is a game maker? Has this person ever played a game? Like..ever?

There is a not a single shred of evidence that confirms that playing games at 30fps is a better experience than higher fps.. As soon as I get into a game I can tell if the fps is lower than 50-60 and I'll adjust settings to beef it up because I'd much rather a smooth experience than a jumpy one.. 30fps is noticeably bad..

What would I know I guess.. Excuse me while I go back to playing BF4 at 100fps with settings all on ultra and 4xAA on my 144hz monitor..I'll push through it not looking realistic because it's the framerate is too high..

oxiide

Distinguished
There's ever been a "60 FPS standard" on consoles, and the only standard for PC is for the framerate to be unlocked (or locked to the display refresh rate). As long as the ports remain acceptable and framerates stay unlocked on PC, I could not care any less what they do on console or what absurd justifications they offer for it.

They're playing with fire, though. I have to assume sooner or later mainstream console gamers are going to figure out what they're missing and start voting with their wallets.

Janemba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
I agree. 60 fps is just too hard to achieve, not all gamers have money to buy GTX 970 class GPU, but the marketing say we need 120 fps, why? beause we will buy new hardware again and again to ahieve more fps.

I can understand folks wanting a higher FPS, and people aren't that stupid. We know what we need, it's simply an issue of having the option open.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Do we really need the game to run at 60 frames per second, or will 30 do just fine? Keeping a game at the 30 frames per second limit supposedly allows developers to cram more into each frame, which means better visuals for gamers.

For the consoles you have to compromise due to their hardware limits forbidding both, on modern PCs you can easiley have both due to its supreme hardware. If your so keen to add more content into each frame go ahead, shame the "new" consoles will only run that at poor 30fps while the pc have extreme systems running the same at blazing fast 144fps.

If the consoles were able to run 4k - The "new" consoles would simply lay down and die. Few games runs smooth on 4k even on PC, and they run at 30fpsish - No way ill trade the fluidity of 2560x1600 @60hz for slow 4k @ 30hz. If UBI descides to move down this path to impoe a 30 fps framelimit - Good luck trying to get me to buy a title thats as immersive as watching paint dry!

jennidc

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Why do they always compare gaming displays to the cinema, they are 2 completely different mediums. 60fps not only refreshes the screen 60 times per second it means the players inputs are read 60 times per second making games seem more responsive. Playing Dark Souls 2 at 30fps on PS3 compared to 60fps on my PC is like playing 2 different games particularly in PvP. Once you have played a game you like at 60 you would not want to go back to 30. If I decide to game on my laptop I deliberately lower the res and effects to hit 60fps as this is more important to me. I wish console developers would give users more options to just choose there own settings like we get on PC - I would happily lower res to 720p or even 480 if it meant higher fps.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
"It's like when people start asking about resolution. Is it the number of the quality of the pixels that you want? If the game looks gorgeous, who cares about the number?" Amancio said.

I think he should try to reevaluate his statement and keep that sort of c*** to himself.
He should keep things like this to himself, i want higher resolution, better visual effects and better stories, not 30fps in a game. Why do we pay so much for expensive hardware? I think the PC games should keep progressing with higher resolution support, better visual effects and better optimizations, not lag behind because of console's lack of power.

Poul Wrist

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
Except the Hobbit and the sequel looked super at 48fps... stop excusing the low hardware power of the consoles with ridiculous notions like "cinematic" - "cinematic" is just a leftover from a time when movies were limited by how much film you wanted to lug around. Now a days you can keep the movie in your pocket.
Look at a panning shot in a "cinematic" framerate, it looks atrocious. Tearing and jumping and skipping. Why would you ever defend that? 24/30 fps LIMITS your possibilities .

This dev is shameful. He should start by making the game work with the hardware and run it at 1080p native and 60fps. If that means it looks worse than previous generation games in terms of all the spam effects like awful motion blur, then, hey, that's how it is. Limited hardware. If you can't make the games look as good and run faster and better on the new consoles, despite having 10 years newer technology, then why are you trying?

It's funny how even many EA games are way better optimized than Ubisoft's games. Crysis 3 > Battlefield 4 > Titanfall > NFS Rivals > Assassins Creed 4 > Watch Dogs

And yes, NFS Rivals can run at a legitimate 60 fps on ultra.

Neuroflux

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Reading this made me physically sick. The statements made here are all paid for by Ubisoft's PR department, or Microsoft/Sony to try to cover up the fact that the so-called "next-gen" consoles are scrap metal from the get-go, and that the 30fps limit isn't a direct consequence of that, but rather a choice.

The very fact that they bring up The Hobbit 48fps version proves they are lying or simply do not know what they are talking about. The fps in movies and the fps in games are not interchangeable nor comparable. They are trying to latch on to a common misconception and an often discussed topic of the "weirdness" of the Hobbit 48fps to drive their misbegotten agenda. After all, if someone thinks the Hobbit looked weird at 48fps (which is a valid opinion), then that person will probably easily get on board with the idea of saying no to 60fps games, when in reality these two things have nothing to do with each other.

This is classic console propaganda, and the best way to combat it is to try to educate as many people as possible about the facts regarding these issues.

rmse17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
The only reason that "60hz" became a standard is because we switched off of CRT monitors. With CRT screens, 60Hz was crap, and in TFC or CS if you had less than 100fps you sucked. Finally with the advent of high frequency monitors now that can handle 120Hz or 144Hz we are starting to reach the place where we were 12 years ago. Maybe this isn't common any more, but if my game is running at 60fps, I will drop my resolution and quality to get my proper playable fps of ~100.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
I haven't read so many unanimously angry comments in a single thread since the last Comcast article... lol.

And YES, I agree that locking 30fps is bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS