[SOLVED] Is the Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super is compatible with GA-M68MT-S2 motherboard?

May 25, 2020
I have Phenom II x840 3.3 Ghz CPU processor and 8gb DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM. My PSU is Corsair VS650 watt. My monitor is Dell 20 inch ad 50-60 Mhz and I am using HDMI port from graphics card to DVI port of the monitor. Whenever I installed the driver for the graphics card it's going black screen in Windows 10 Pro 64 bit as well as Ubuntu 20.04 64 bit OS. Could anyone suggest me whether the graphics card is compatible in this setting?

Solution
It's tricky, there are a few things that could be happening.

First, I believe this is a Hybrid EFI motherboard, not a true UEFI one, and Nvidia's GPUs since the 700 series aren't always cooperative in these cases.

Second, if this is an older Corsair VS 650, with orange or green lettering on the unit, it's a low-quality PSU and you shouldn't be pairing these together, and that could be causing issues.

The final issue isn't really one of compatibility. Unless you're upgrading your CPU/motherboard/RAM in the very near future, this pairing makes little sense and a return might make the most sense. You're talking about a budget CPU from 2011 here and you're literally paying hundreds of dollars for performance you'll never see with this...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

First, I believe this is a Hybrid EFI motherboard, not a true UEFI one, and Nvidia's GPUs since the 700 series aren't always cooperative in these cases.

Second, if this is an older Corsair VS 650, with orange or green lettering on the unit, it's a low-quality PSU and you shouldn't be pairing these together, and that could be causing issues.

The final issue isn't really one of compatibility. Unless you're upgrading your CPU/motherboard/RAM in the very near future, this pairing makes little sense and a return might make the most sense. You're talking about a budget CPU from 2011 here and you're literally paying hundreds of dollars for performance you'll never see with this CPU. Much past a 750 Ti will have diminishing games with this platform, maybe a 1050 Ti though I think that would be a stretch.

Solution
May 25, 2020
Thank you so much DSzymborski for your valuable comments.

Yes, it's not UEFI.

My PSU is a new one. It has no orange and green lettering. Although, I am replacing this PSU with a better one.

I also decide to replace this GPU with the 1050 Ti.

Do you think my Dell monitor IN2020M will able to handle the graphics? It's not a full HD screen.

Thanks,

The final issue isn't really one of compatibility. Unless you're upgrading your CPU/motherboard/RAM in the very near future, this pairing makes little sense and a return might make the most sense. You're talking about a budget CPU from 2011 here and you're literally paying hundreds of dollars for performance you'll never see with this CPU. Much past a 750 Ti will have diminishing games with this platform, maybe a 1050 Ti though I think that would be a stretch.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you so much DSzymborski for your valuable comments.

Yes, it's not UEFI.

My PSU is a new one. It has no orange and green lettering. Although, I am replacing this PSU with a better one.

I also decide to replace this GPU with the 1050 Ti.

Do you think my Dell monitor IN2020M will able to handle the graphics? It's not a full HD screen.

Thanks,

As long as it's a recent VS (which it appears to be), then it's fine with a low-power GPU. But not really if you get more ambitious and go after a 570/580 or something.

I'm most worried about the lack of UEFI and a 1050 Ti. People have run into issues with GPUs past the 700 series. A 750 Ti might be your best bet.