Question Is the MX500 the best 2.5" SATA SSD right now ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Some MX500s have 1500/2000/3000 P/E cycles (SM2258H controller) … some have 5000(SM2259H controller) !!! Does this mean the newer ones have 5000 P/E cycles? is there a way to figure this out?

B16A....1500 P/E C

B17A.... 3000 P/E C

B27A.... 2000 P/E C

B37R.... 5000 P/E C

B47R... 5000 P/E C

Lutfij

Titan
To answer your thread titles question, the "best" SATA based 2.5" SSD is the Samsung 870 Evo if you can get for a good price.

is there a way to figure this out?
Without hooking up the drive to a platform and then hunting for said controller, it's impossible to identify silent updates made by manufacturers. Gigabyte make silent revisions to their motherboard's whereby they cut down on power delivery components. Corsair also does this with their rams since they source IC from various OEM's, which is why they have a PCB revision listed on their ram kits(PCB). This may be a worthwhile read.

Reactions: knowledge2121

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have to keep in mind that so many other (other) factors effect bus speeds for storage. For example, whatever the slowest drive is, on the slowest PCI/USB revision is going to be the limiting factor for any data move across it. This goes for LAN and WAN as well in certain instances. One would be hard pressed to tell a significant difference in many cases of "any decent name brand" drive and in particular in a machine on which this is the limitation.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Have to keep in mind that so many other (other) factors effect bus speeds for storage. For example, whatever the slowest drive is, on the slowest PCI/USB revision is going to be the limiting factor for any data move across it. This goes for LAN and WAN as well in certain instances. One would be hard pressed to tell a significant difference in many cases of "any decent name brand" drive and in particular in a machine on which this is the limitation.

Can you elaborate ?

If I use 3 different SATA3 SSDs with my Z790 board, the speed for all 3 is limited to the slowest drive ?

USAFRet

Titan
Example...
Copying from any of my SSDs (SATA or NVMe) to a HDD drive on my LAN is limited by the LAN performance.

Copying to or from a microSD card to an internal SSD is limited by the microUSB adapter, and then the USB hub, and whatever USB port it is connected to.

The 'speed' of the SSD is irrelevant.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Example...
Copying from any of my SSDs (SATA or NVMe) to a HDD drive on my LAN is limited by the LAN performance.

Copying to or from a microSD card to an internal SSD is limited by the microUSB adapter, and then the USB hub, and whatever USB port it is connected to.

The 'speed' of the SSD is irrelevant.

So, basically bottle necking? is that the correct term?

I thought he meant that combining a gen3 and gen4 NVMe SSD on a gen4 board limits both SSDs to gen3 speeds?

USAFRet

Titan
So, basically bottle necking? is that the correct term?

I thought he meant that combining a gen3 and gen4 NVMe SSD on a gen4 board limits both SSDs to gen3 speeds?
NO.
I have such drives....Samsung 980 Pro (Gen 4) and Intel 660p (Gen 3)
They each run at their native speed.

Now...copying between those two is limited by the slowest...the 660p.
Or to one of the SATA III SSDs.

Think of it like this:
Fire hose (980 Pro), garden hose (660p), soda straw (SATA III).
No matter how fast the firehose can output, the garden hose or soda straw can only accept it up to its limit.
Same in the other direction.

Reactions: knowledge2121