Is the nvidia nf 200 chipset necessary for 2 card SLI ?

brandon_33

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hello all,

I have an intel I9 860 socket 1156. I am searching for a motherboard and I am undecided if need to buy a more expensive board with nf200 chip. I am currently waiting for nvidia's new graphics cards to hit the shelves and I will only be installing 2 cards. I have no plans on ever going 3-way SLI.
So my question is will I still need the extra bandwidth of the nf200 chipset for good performance or will the other chipsets that provide 16x 8x for two card configuration be more then enough pci express bandwidth to handle the load with no performance loss or possible bottlenecking?

I read the reviews on the nf200 and it appears to definately be a must for 3-way SLI but Im not understanding the benchmark's well enough to know if it makes a noticeable difference on 2-way SLI.

any help would be greatly appreciated before I make my purchase.
Thanks

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Not much idea with fermis new cards as to how much bandwidth they need, but toms did a article very recently and the gap between 16x and 8x was very little, as long as you have a 8x/8x board you probably wont see any performance decreases