[SOLVED] Is the Ryzen 4600G considered an APU or CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
The reason I ask, is because all the Ryzen APUs have up to now only devoted 8 lanes to the PCIe x16 slot. Is that the same with the 4600G? Or does it have the full 16 lanes?

Solution
But ohhhhh....how things are changing! Zen 4 "CPU's" will have an iGPU just like Intel's. Will they all be APU's too? even though completely inadequate for even low-level gaming?

Not that it changes anything with Zen up to now, of course.
APU is/was a brand name for AMD's CPUs with integrated graphics, It's officially dropped after FM series. Now a suffix "G" denotes a CPU with graphics.
Zen 4 will have just a basic graphics, nothing like relatively powerful graphics of APU on G processors.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I never claimed dGPU's had 4 lanes on older APU's; they have 8 lanes dedicated too.

I'm also not claiming there's aren't 16 lanes for graphics...i'm just wondering how it's giving 16 lanes to a dGPU and still feeding the iGPU. That's simple logic too.

It's a stupid thing to fuss over...someone with a 4000 or 5000 G processor and a dGPU might help clear it up.
Again I can only ASSUME :p, but I think it has a direct connection, and doesn’t use any lanes for its own. That means, any of those 24 lanes are extra and fully usable for anything else, chipset, NVME and 16x for the DGPU.

that’s theory one.

theory two is, that if iGPU and DGPU are both in use, it will split up 8+8. Simply don’t use it then.

well google doesnt produce anything sensible with somebody posting enough info about 4000/5000 G with dedicated GPU
but iGPU has access to all 16 PCIe lanes for itself, which could mean if you use dedicated GPU, iGPU will need to be disabled to get those 16 PCIe lanes

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
well google doesnt produce anything sensible with somebody posting enough info about 4000/5000 G with dedicated GPU
but iGPU has access to all 16 PCIe lanes for itself, which could mean if you use dedicated GPU, iGPU will need to be disabled to get those 16 PCIe lanes
The IGPU doesn’t use any lanes, it’s directly connected to the CPU. I have googled it just now and various people have confirmed they had access to the full 16x lanes for their DGPU, and no one mentioned that they deactivated the IGPU, because it doesn’t matter.

That said, the 4700G/5700G and the equivalent in the laptop are different, discrete GPUs in laptop will only get 8x lanes, as it has 8 lanes less than the desktop part.

The IGPU doesn’t use any lanes, it’s directly connected to the CPU. I have googled it just now and various people have confirmed they had access to the full 16x lanes for their DGPU, and no one mentioned that they deactivated the IGPU, because it doesn’t matter.

That said, the 4700G/5700G and the equivalent in the laptop are different, discrete GPUs in laptop will only get 8x lanes, as it has 8 lanes less than the desktop part.
I could confirm this as i built my friends pc using 5600G + 3060 on B450M SL, both enabled graphics for testing purposes, the DGPU use full lane x16 while the igpu use its own lanes (x16 3.0) directly connected to infinity fabric.

Reactions: KananX