[SOLVED] Is there a disadvantage of adjusting monitor's response time?

Schereizer

Commendable
Feb 11, 2021
I have a monitor (MSI g27cq4) which allows me to choose its response time from normal, fast and then fastest, If I think about other component of a computer, let's say cpu or gpu, improving their performance meaning increasing their supply of power which cause additional heat generation.

Therefore, we have the option TO DO or NOT TO DO that. So the fact that there is an option to choose what response time we want on monitors, does that mean it is the same? Or are there any other factors that will have to be considered before adjusting response time like shortening its lifespan or else?

I want to try lowering the response time of my monitor but at the same time I am afraid as I do not have a single idea about the outcome of doing so.

I would be very happy to get a reply. Thank you in advance.

Solution
Scroll down to motion, https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-g27cq4

Setting to fastest has nothing to do with power or life span, it is to improve VA panel ghosting as much as possible. Nothing to worry about.

The MSI Optix G27CQ4 has a good response time at its max refresh rate of 165Hz. However, the response times in the darker transitions are slow, and there's too much overshoot in the lighter transitions, so you can still notice motion artifacts in most scenes. The recommended overdrive setting is 'Fastest' because it has a quicker total response time than the other settings.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Scroll down to motion, https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-g27cq4

Setting to fastest has nothing to do with power or life span, it is to improve VA panel ghosting as much as possible. Nothing to worry about.

The MSI Optix G27CQ4 has a good response time at its max refresh rate of 165Hz. However, the response times in the darker transitions are slow, and there's too much overshoot in the lighter transitions, so you can still notice motion artifacts in most scenes. The recommended overdrive setting is 'Fastest' because it has a quicker total response time than the other settings.

Solution