[SOLVED] Is there a good way to emulate Surface Pro on Windows 10?

Clive Staples

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hey there,

I've been searching for a way to emulate a Microsoft Surface Pro on my Windows 10 Pro desktop. I may need to take some screenshots of an application running on Surface Pro.

I gather that the Surface Pro has a native resolution of 2736 x 1824. Although my GeForce GTX 1080 will supposedly support that resolution, none of my monitors does.

An emulator might help me with that problem, while also allowing me to capture any UI elements of Windows 10 that are unique to running on a Surface device.

The only thing I've been able to find is Microsoft Emulator, but I'm not sure it can even do a Surface Pro - and I can't get it to work anyway (no luck running either of the only two "guest images" available on the Microsoft Store).

Does anyone know a better way or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Solution
I get that it's Windows 10, but I'm thinking about the UX. Are there UX elements that behave differently on a tablet than, say, with a keyboard and mouse?
What is "UX" ?

Only difference between regular windows 10 pc and windows 10 tablet (like Surface Pro) is touchscreen functionality. That's it.
You can get touchscreen on desktop with specific monitor models.

Windows 10 allows switching between desktop and tablet modes.
tablet-mode-in-action-center.png

Honestly - emulating surface pro on windows 10 is nonsense. There is nothing to emulate. It's the same OS.

Clive Staples

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
What do you mean by "emulate Surface pro on Windows 10" ?

Surface pro is just an windows 10 tablet. All the applications are the same, because it's the same windows 10 Operating System.

I get that it's Windows 10, but I'm thinking about the UX. Are there UX elements that behave differently on a tablet than, say, with a keyboard and mouse?

It might be akin to running a virtual Windows 10 machine if there's any setting for mobile modes - I obviously haven't used a Surface but I'm thinking back to how Windows 8 behaved like a tablet OS out-of-the-box and had to be configured to work like a desktop OS (with a start menu and whatnot).

As another example, is there a virtual/on-screen keyboard built into Windows for use in a tablet scenario?

And there is the matter of that wacky native display resolution that I mentioned before. Not sure what desktop monitor can even support that, but an emulator would theoretically be an app on my Windows desktop that could at least simulate the correct number of pixels (and format, and aspect ratio) on my existing displays.

Does that make sense?

USAFRet

Titan

It might be akin to running a virtual Windows 10 machine if there's any setting for mobile modes - I obviously haven't used a Surface but I'm thinking back to how Windows 8 behaved like a tablet OS out-of-the-box and had to be configured to work like a desktop OS (with a start menu and whatnot).

As another example, is there a virtual/on-screen keyboard built into Windows for use in a tablet scenario?

And there is the matter of that wacky native display resolution that I mentioned before. Not sure what desktop monitor can even support that, but an emulator would theoretically be an app on my Windows desktop that could at least simulate the correct number of pixels (and format, and aspect ratio) on my existing displays.

Does that make sense?
WIN+S - OSK

OSK = On Screen Keyboard.

Also, Tablet Mode.
Settings, System, Tablet.
Always, Ask, Never.

What is "UX" ?

Only difference between regular windows 10 pc and windows 10 tablet (like Surface Pro) is touchscreen functionality. That's it.
You can get touchscreen on desktop with specific monitor models.

Windows 10 allows switching between desktop and tablet modes.
tablet-mode-in-action-center.png

Honestly - emulating surface pro on windows 10 is nonsense. There is nothing to emulate. It's the same OS.

Solution
I'm typing this on Surface Pro, with keyboard, and apart from resolution set at 200% - it's standard desktop. When in Tablet mode, some applications "know" that (eg File Explorer uses wider spacing) but otherwise - not a big deal.

The most difficult part for you would be to emulate the pen, yoou'll need a digitizer for that.

TRENDING THREADS