Question Is there a problem with my GPU?

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
So basically, yesterday I had my first taste of the so-called coil whine, I did not notice or have any problems before with this GPU and I did not notice any weird noises before, the card stays pretty cool at a maximum of 65 degrees Celsius in full load and overclocked.
I have to mention that I have an ASUS STRIX GTX 970 OC, paired with a RYZEN 5 3600X, 16GB of RAM at 3200Mhz and all these components are installed on an ASUS PRIME B450 PLUS, and the PSU is a CORSAIR RM750.
And as a note, I did overclock the GPU, adding 130 on the core clock and 130 on the memory clock.

Actual coil whine isn't an issue for functionality.
First, see if it's PSU or GPU coil whine. Grab the cardboard inside of a paper towel roll. Hold one end to your ear, move the other end around to the GPU and PSU to see where the noise is coming from.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Actual coil whine isn't an issue for functionality.
First, see if it's PSU or GPU coil whine. Grab the cardboard inside of a paper towel roll. Hold one end to your ear, move the other end around to the GPU and PSU to see where the noise is coming from.
I believe it's the GPU, the noise is present whenever I play a game and I hit high fps, but this wasn't an issue before, don't know why.

Did the whine begin when you adjusted the GPU power limits? The RM750 is a decent power supply so you may be right.
Again, coil whine isn't a functional issue if its just coil whine. Your GPU could operate fine with coil whine for 5+ years to come.

Fixing coil whine is difficult and not recommended for the average user. You may be able to lessen or completely nullify coil whine by lowering your power limit.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Did the whine begin when you adjusted the GPU power limits? The RM750 is a decent power supply so you may be right.
Again, coil whine isn't a functional issue if its just coil whine. Your GPU could operate fine with coil whine for 5+ years to come.

Fixing coil whine is difficult and not recommended for the average user. You may be able to lessen or completely nullify coil whine by lowering your power limit.
Yesterday, I changed my CPU thermal paste, and after I booted my PC, and opened a game, my GPU started whining and it was pretty audible, I changed my current PCIe cable with a proprietary Corsair cable and the noise is still there, but not that pronounced. I did not change any power limits, I only overclocked it a little, but in my opinion, it was not a huge overclock. I do not intend to fix it, I heard there is a possibility the noise could fade away in time, but I don't know how sure I am about that.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
How do the temps compare vs before?
Right now, my CPU is boosting to 4.3 GHz because I am downloading something from Steam. Idle temps are ok, nothing spectacular, it hovers around 37-40 degrees. Before I usually had maybe a constant 50 degrees.

Quick edit, my GPU is staying fairly quiet, no major whining at the moment.

GhostWPT

Prominent
Jan 28, 2022
Not much you can do about that.
If it's just coil whine it'll probably be fine. If it gets to be a pain, look into replacing your PSU.
It seems like this a lottery, sometimes I have coil whine, sometimes not, for example, I played a little bit of far cry 4 and there was no whining, or at least not that audible.