[SOLVED] Is there a truly good uninstaller worth it's price

m0v1c

Reputable
May 10, 2019
Hi. So I am hoping i am not the only one who has ever wondered this, but my computer is like a room that I like to keep clean. You might give it a tidy and a vacuum every so often and throw out some old junk but look under the bed or behind the wardrobe ,and alas, there is hiding nasty things that make you sneeze and itch :) I am no slouch on computers and have battled and won many a war with unwanted software or stubborn programs that insist on sharing my room. But just have a look at things like registries and window services and it can become quite clear that simply uninstalling a program through control panel does not always equal a true spring clean. Gremlins hide in dark corners. So can we discuss and share our thoughts on what programs actually work to completely uninstall all aspects of ANY unwanted program. I would imagine that a company that study's the changes made to a system upon installation of a program can work it backward to clean it out. Perhaps like reverse engineering. I have googled, and software such as Revo and IOBit come up with their respective reviews, but I would like to hear from this wonderful community on tom's on what you all think. Please contribute, and lets give us neat freaks a true solution.
Thank you

Solution
Most programs do nothing to the system even if they don't delete all the registry keys or files, unless it's a program that starts up with the computer.
I never use anything past a standard Windows uninstall method unless there are actually issues with it working for some reason.
If there is a specific issue, then look at how it needs to be handled.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I agree with the above. I see zero reason to use a paid uninstaller, driver finder, or any of that mess.

I do find that occasional reboot as a good thing on a system that needs it. Another good thing is just not to install a bunch of trash programs that you have to concern yourself with clearing and cleaning out.

Most programs do nothing to the system even if they don't delete all the registry keys or files, unless it's a program that starts up with the computer.
I never use anything past a standard Windows uninstall method unless there are actually issues with it working for some reason.
If there is a specific issue, then look at how it needs to be handled.

Solution

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've used Advanced Uninstaller & CCleaner for years.
Advanced Uninstaller v11 is better than later versions IMO. It will monitor new installs and uninstalls. Afterwards it will scan the system to see if any files or registry keys were left behind and lets you select which ones to delete.
I'll sometimes use AI first and then also run CCleaner to get rid of pesky programs.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Aug 28, 2020
I use Microsoft's uninstall.diag in the enterprise sector.

"
The troubleshooter helps fix problems that:

• Corrupt registry keys on 64-bit operating systems.
  • Corrupt registry keys that control the update data
  • Prevent new programs from being installed
  • Prevent existing programs from being completely uninstalled or updated
  • Block you from uninstalling a program through Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) in Control Panel.
"

This is how I do it

give your pc a fresh install, download/install all program's that you use, tweak your settings/background etc

so that you have it exactly as you want it, but fresh

then make an image

save all your files on a secondary drive

every half year i revert my system to the image, works like a charm