Question Is there a way to change my NAT type, on my PC?

Trainenthusiast

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Hi there, I feel like my NAT type is currently set to strict because finding matches in certain games takes way too long while others in my area don't seem to be facing this issue. Also, often during games, the connection can get really bad for multiple rounds and then become totally normal for the rest of my session.

I've tried inputting the ipconfig/all prompt in the CMD window to check my NAT type but it does not appear. Everything else does regarding my connection, but it doesn't tell me what my NAT type is. Would really appreciate any guidance. Thank you!

The NAT is done on your router or in some cases the ISP router. There is not a setting on your pc to change this.

Note this is a huge source of misinformation you find on gamer forums. Gamers are dumb as rocks an just cut and paste things they find without any understanding.

Mostly the NAT type stuff is related to console games where there is not a central server. One of the consoles must act as the server and be considered "open" nat but only gamers call it that it is actually a form of port forwarding.

These type of game might take longer to get session because most people can not run as the server so they have to wait for someone who can.

The vast majority of game you see people asking about have central servers run by a large company so none of this applies to many popular games.

The nat type also does not make things run faster or have less lag or do any of the other silly things you see gamers claim on game forums. The game just will not function at all until you make whatever nat setting some game might require.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Assume OP was talking about XBOX, OP probably need to enable UPNP on the router.

https://support.xbox.com/en-IN/help/hardware-network/connect-network/upnp-not-successful

https://support.xbox.com/en-IN/help/hardware-network/connect-network/network-ports-used-xbox-live

It is highly doubtful that ports 53, 80, and 88 are actually necessary, however.

Also as suggested here. Be noted port forwarding only works if your XBOX has a static IP.

Last edited:

Trainenthusiast

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
@bill001g @lantis3 Hi guys, thank you for your responses. I appreciate the insights, Bill. lantis, I was talking about a game on my PC. :) I also am not sure why I can't see my NAT type/status when I use the ipconfig/all command prompt, any thoughts/suggestions on that? Thank you!

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
NAT is just NAT (Network Address Translation, translating your device's private IP to external public IP, like your company phone 3-4digit extension no. to a company's external public 10 digits phone number). PC behind a router does not have different NAT types. You will not see NAT type using IPCONFIG command.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTUV0t6JaDA

I don't play games and it seems NAT types only applicable on gaming consoles or gaming software, it just confuses everyone, and gaming companies never tried to explain "different NAT types" and exactly what they are.

As I said earlier, turn on UPNP feature on router see if it can solve the issue, probably can make games/game consoles thinking the NAT type is Open?

UPNP will open ports automatically on client software/device's request. It's considered a security concern but it make port forwarding very easy (user doesn't have to configure it himself).

Last edited:
Reactions: Trainenthusiast
Games that need to have special nat setting generally will be able to test to see what kind of nat you have.

Again this is not a setting on the pc itself but you might be able to run a program to detect it. A simple and related example would be to determine what your public IP is. Unless you are the rare case where you run with no router if you look up your IP with ipconfig it shows 192.168.x.x which is a private IP space. If you use a web site like whatsmyip you will see the public IP you are using. This translation between public and private is NAT and is done on some router.

The key issue is that many times the NAT is being done in the ISP network and it will always be what is called "strict" and can not be changed. Since there is a shortage of IP addresses this has become more and more common. Games that require these special setting to run in the long run will be dead games. They need to find a different long term solution.

Reactions: Trainenthusiast