[SOLVED] is there a way to enable HDR via DP 1.4 for games that only support HDR via HDMI?

csm101

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Hi All

for games like AC origin, AC odyssey, Farcry 5 , GR break point, GR wildlands etc where it demands a HDMI 2.0 connection in order to enable HDR , is there a way to get it done via DP 1.4? my monitor is g-sync compatible and loosing that as well as the native 120 refresh rate to get HDR with a 60 refresh rate as well as 8bit colors is not a good trad off. so if anyone knows a workaround that get these games to enable HDR via DP 1.4 connection please let me know.

Solution
found the issue. the monitor had a over clocking setting that goes 144hz at 4K. as soon as i have disabled it i was able to play Farcry 5, RE3 and GR break point with HDR enabled over DP 1.4 connection. in fact that is the thing that even blocking me from add a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/acer-predator-xb273k-4k-144hz-gaming-monitor-hdr,5998.html

also in your windows the HDR setting is on right?
the thing is shadow of tomb raider works fine with both cables so i played it via DP (very beautiful ). i don't understand why the games that i have mentioned, mostly games from Ubisoft and Capcom dose not work with DP when it comes to HDR.
You can see for yourself. Here's FarCry 5 showing the HDR option is available over a DP cable connected display.
10h7wHy.jpg

csm101

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
i can see you have selected use default color setting. my settings is use NVidia color setting' s with RGB and 10bpc (10 bit as the monitor support it) let me try out that. will update the findings. i don't have Farcry 5 with me at the moment. will test it out on GR breakpoint, RE3 remake instead.

update:-
tested SOTTR , it works fine. (its already was)
RE3 and GR breakpoint = No change. both games dose not recognize the h/w setup as HDR capable which is a lame joke.

Last edited:

csm101

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
I'm downloading Farcry 5 again. just to test this color setting. my OS version is 19041.330 and yesterday i have downloaded the latest driver for my GPU. i believe if i crack this puzzle i can fix the other games that don't work as well in DP. what is your OS version? also for that custom res, did you tweak any color settings within the custom resolution setup?

update:-
Farcry 5 is installed , and even after i changed the color settings to what you have the game did not detect HDR. waht else can be done here?

Last edited:

csm101

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
found the issue. the monitor had a over clocking setting that goes 144hz at 4K. as soon as i have disabled it i was able to play Farcry 5, RE3 and GR break point with HDR enabled over DP 1.4 connection. in fact that is the thing that even blocking me from add a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel.

Solution