Question Is there a way to force a program to use integrated graphics on a machine without dedicated graphics?

Jul 15, 2021
I am on a laptop with only integrated graphics, no dedicated graphics card and no place to install one. There's a 3d modeling program I REALLY want to use (magicacsg, for the curious) but it requires 2 gigs of GPU RAM-- specifically from a dedicated graphics card, which, again, I have none.

Unfortunately I lack several thousands of dollars for a new computer, so instead I'm looking for a way to make the program use any of my 8 available gigs of normal RAM.

Ok, I admit to being computer-stupid, but like... All 8 gigs aren't busy all the time. I usually barely have anything running, so there's plenty of that available. 8>2. I mean, it sounds pretty reasonable that there might be a way, right?

Any hidden settings in Windows 10? Programs that might help?

I don't know where else to ask this, but I'm certainly not a techie so I thought someone here might help.

Jul 15, 2021
So it turns out this is impossible because HP locks all but the most basic of options in the BIOS, with no way to get to the advanced options at all. (Extremely frustrating.) I guess this is just impossible, I'll go back to stalking the site for an update that hopefully lowers the system requirements; thank you all anyway!

USAFRet

Titan
So it turns out this is impossible because HP locks all but the most basic of options in the BIOS, with no way to get to the advanced options at all. (Extremely frustrating.) I guess this is just impossible, I'll go back to stalking the site for an update that hopefully lowers the system requirements; thank you all anyway!
If the laptop lacks the hardware, it lacks the hardware.

You can't change the software to make it work.
And there will almost certainly be no downgrade of the software.

What about starting with Blender instead.

Jul 15, 2021
If the laptop lacks the hardware, it lacks the hardware.

You can't change the software to make it work.
And there will almost certainly be no downgrade of the software.

What about starting with Blender instead.
I have tried blender, but the interface, even the new one, is extremely daunting for a beginner. I've made a model, but it took several days and was a mentally exhausting process. Props to anyone who can actually use it!!

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I have

I have tried blender, but the interface, even the new one, is extremely daunting for a beginner. I've made a model, but it took several days and was a mentally exhausting process. Props to anyone who can actually use it!!
Yes, the blender interface is a bit odd.

But....a LOT of graphics things are, especially in the FOSS world.

ex: GIMP for 2D graphics. Excellent tool, but the user interface is out there.

Practice practice practice.

Jul 15, 2021
Yes, the blender interface is a bit odd.

But....a LOT of graphics things are, especially in the FOSS world.

ex: GIMP for 2D graphics. Excellent tool, but the user interface is out there.

Practice practice practice.

Youve got a good point, and I will probably go grumbling back to Blender and brute force my way into learning it eventually--at least it works, haha

Jul 15, 2021
I am on a laptop with only integrated graphics, no dedicated graphics card and no place to install one. There's a 3d modeling program I REALLY want to use (magicacsg, for the curious) but it requires 2 gigs of GPU RAM-- specifically from a dedicated graphics card, which, again, I have none.

Unfortunately I lack several thousands of dollars for a new computer, so instead I'm looking for a way to make the program use any of my 8 available gigs of normal RAM.

Ok, I admit to being computer-stupid, but like... All 8 gigs aren't busy all the time. I usually barely have anything running, so there's plenty of that available. 8>2. I mean, it sounds pretty reasonable that there might be a way, right?

Any hidden settings in Windows 10? Programs that might help?

I don't know where else to ask this, but I'm certainly not a techie so I thought someone here might help.
Be more specific. What exact igpu are you using?