Question Is there a way to remove OEM from my motherboard ?

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
So I am actually upgrading my pc. Upgrading my cpu, psu, ram, which are in transit now, and soon my gpu. So before I did this, I did a lot of research to make sure that all of the parts I am getting will be compatible with each other, and especially with my current motherboard which is the MSI A320M PRO-E.

Once I found out that it was compatible with the Ryzen 5 5500 that I ordered with a latest beta bios update. I went for it. But when I was about to update my BIOS. I kept getting into this "BIOS file cannot be found", and so I did some research on why this keeps persisting. Then I found out that it could be because the OEM disabled BIOS updates for the motherboard. I went to check if my motherboard is an OEM, and it actually is.

I bought my pc 4 years ago when I had no idea about computers. So when I went to the shop, I just asked them the package they have and I went for it. I didn't pay for the Windows license, but I have Windows 10 Enterprise. Which makes me think that this is the reason why I can't update my BIOS to the latest version.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
that just mean you need to find the oem bios. oem motherboard are not the same as non-oem version.
and being a pirate on having windows 10 enterprise
So does that mean there's no way to remove that stupid OEM BIOS?
I actually want to go legit with Windows and get a key.

I have no experience with regular computer parts that can also be OEM. If I google your motherboard and add "OEM", I find nothing relevant.

Can you find out what your current BIOS version is? Maybe it's easier to go from there.

It usually also matters how a USB drive is formatted. If it's formatted as NTFS, it's unlikely that the BIOS is able to read files on the USB drive. Try formatting it as FAT32 if it's not already.

EDIT: I did find a thread on the MSI forums, which was linked on a Reddit thread, which seemed to have helped someone that has the same exact motherboard as you do.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
I have no experience with regular computer parts that can also be OEM. If I google your motherboard and add "OEM", I find nothing relevant.

Can you find out what your current BIOS version is? Maybe it's easier to go from there.

It usually also matters how a USB drive is formatted. If it's formatted as NTFS, it's unlikely that the BIOS is able to read files on the USB drive. Try formatting it as FAT32 if it's not already.
I actually have it formatted at FAT32. I did research on how and why this could be happening. But I think the majn culprit is the OEM I have on my motherboard. Here's an info on my motherboard from CPU-Z:
https://prnt.sc/ZympIiScuJvh

That's a Memory screenshot, you'll see the relevant info on the Mainboard tab.

Also, do check the added edit in my last post. Good chance if you have an MSI account, ask the Alan guy in the thread to get the BIOS file you need.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
That a Memory screenshot, you'll see the relevant info on the Mainboard tab.

Also, do check the added edit in my last post. Good chance if you have an MSI account, ask the Alan guy in the thread to get the BIOS file you need.
Ok thank you. What could be the reason that my motherboard is different from the others? Because that's so weird. My bad I thought I had the main board screenshot.

No problem at all. Clicking the wrong tab is a small mistake to make. :)

And not a clue why your motherboard is different. The only reason I can think of would be solutions that are made foolproof. A product that is supposed to last years and years works best if changes are impossible, even including BIOS updates..

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
No problem at all. Clicking the wrong tab is a small mistake to make. :)

And not a clue why your motherboard is different. The only reason I can think of would be solutions that are made foolproof. A product that is supposed to last years and years works best if changes are impossible, even including BIOS updates..
I went to the BIOS earlier and this is the BIOS version of my motherboard: "E7A36AMS.I00". It doesn't look like a BIOS version that is posted in MSI's website. And here's the CPU'Z screenshot of my motherboard. https://prnt.sc/WAylUr6nDGpX

E7A36AMS.I00 is the BIOS version which was being provided in that MSI thread.

From that thread, I- is OEM and H- is retail. You're saying you want to change the BIOS on your board from OEM to retail but I see no way that you can do that.

As to why they make them different, there are two possibilities. One is that there are some manufacturing differences between the boards (in extreme cases, OEM boards are made with e.g. different USB internal header pin-outs to standard). Another is that they provide OEM boards at a large discount and don't want somebody else making a profit by selling them on as retail boards.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
E7A36AMS.I00 is the BIOS version which was being provided in that MSI thread.

From that thread, I- is OEM and H- is retail. You're saying you want to change the BIOS on your board from OEM to retail but I see no way that you can do that.

As to why they make them different, there are two possibilities. One is that there are some manufacturing differences between the boards (in extreme cases, OEM boards are made with e.g. different USB internal header pin-outs to standard). Another is that they provide OEM boards at a large discount and don't want somebody else making a profit by selling them on as retail boards.
So the only option is to replace my motherboard? Damn I don't have any more money left after I upgraded my PSU, CPU, RAM, and PC case. I never thought I could get this issue. I got my PC way back when I had no idea about computers so it was my cousin making the decisions. I knew that there was something off with that PC store because they didn't issue us an official receipt. Wish I knew all about this.

So the only option is to replace my motherboard? Damn I don't have any more money left after I upgraded my PSU, CPU, RAM, and PC case. I never thought I could get this issue. I got my PC back when I had no idea with PC yet and it was my cousin making the decisions. I knew that there was something off with that PC store because they didn't issue us an official receipt. Wish I knew all about this.

If you get the option to upgrade later if fails to work b550 would be where to jump to

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
If you get the option to upgrade later if fails to work b550 would be where to jump to
I was thinking about getting a B450M. Is this board not good? I'm really on a tight budget. I'm still a college student and I only get money when my parents give me. I don't ask them.