Question Is there any cooling benefit whatsoever to placing a desktop vertical, horizontal, upside-down, suspended from the ceiling using Unicorn hair, etc...

fcar1999ta

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I am 99.99999999% sure that it makes absolutely zero difference how the desktop case is sitting, as long as the fans are mounted for balanced airflow, and there is enough room for the fans to pull/exhaust air.

Right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

My desktop is big, and I want to sit it on its side. The MoBO would be facing up.

kanewolf

Titan
I am 99.99999999% sure that it makes absolutely zero difference how the desktop case is sitting, as long as the fans are mounted for balanced airflow, and there is enough room for the fans to pull/exhaust air.

Right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

My desktop is big, and I want to sit it on its side. The MoBO would be facing up.
Assuming free airspace on most sides, very minimal difference for cooling. Dust might be a different situation.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For the most part you are right. "Hot air rises" does NOT apply inside a case with good fans moving air, although it CAN have an impact OUTSIDE the case on movement of room air in the near vicinity.

One note of caution, however. No details, but you say, "I added AIO coolers". (Plural?) With any AIO system the placement of components can be important to avoid having any air bubbles accumulating in the pump. That is governed by gravity, of course, so bear that in mind as you consider how to turn your case.