Question Is there any recommended GPU for pairing with Intel Core i3-9100F ?

SakakiKomachi

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
I paired my i3-9100F with RX 550 2GB and its bottlenecking like crazy. Everytime I play Valorant the game framing for couple seconds and it smooth again. Not only does Valorant experience framing, but every game I play experiences framing and fps drops suddenly. Is there any recommendation GPU?

I rather upgrade my GPU first than the CPU.

My build:
Intel Core i3-9100F
RX 550 PowerColor 2GB OC Edition
12GB DDR4 RAM
256GB M.2 NVMe SSD 2nd gen
1TB x 4 HDDs

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Scroll through relative performance list looking for current cards on offer. Somewhere around Rtx 3060 level. Then see power supply requirements for the card you want.

You'll want a decent psu, tier B the lowest, of around 650w 7+ yr warranty. If your power supply isn't of this quality or provide enough wattage is going to make things more difficult unless you upgrade that as well.

Rx 550 is more of an entry level / lite gaming card but also quad cpus are pretty so ~ so these days. Can still sorta get away with quads in some titles if not too cpu heavy but yeah definitely held back more, a lot more, by your graphics card.

SakakiKomachi

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
valorant is an online game...check your internet ping and speeds.
i have lower ping and 0 packet loss. Also it's the bottleneck matter because I turned on the frametime and the frametime suddenly peaking for couple seconds and normal again

SakakiKomachi

Commendable
Aug 28, 2021
OP

an RX 550 is just a little stronger than a GT 1030. Certainly not enough if you're gaming hard.

at the bare minimum for gpu upgrade, I recommend an RX 580 if you want AMD, or get a GTX 1650 if you're going with Nvidia. Of course, if you have funds, then go get something better.

RX 580 vs RX 550

i'll consider it on rx 580. thanks for the advice👍

Reactions: Tac 25
Take the time to know if you are more limited by cpu or gpu.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

I suspect cpu.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@SakakiKomachi

goodluck then. Oh, and just one more thing. Be careful when buying a second hand used RX 580... it is a gpu popular for mining - I suggest buying somewhere with option for returns if you're buying used. Better if you just buy it brand new with warranty.