[SOLVED] Is there anyway I can change the native resolution of a display?

EderP

Reputable
Jun 5, 2019
I use a capture card for streaming gameplay that's connected to another PC. The capture card (Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme GC550) seems to have a native resolution of 720p, however, I bump that up to 1080p to match the display of my main PC that I use for gaming. My issue is that when I play a game, it seems to get confused as to what resolution it should default to. Most games stay at 1080p, however some will default to 720p for every new launch and it's annoying to have to change it every time I want to play. The worst part is that when I alt-tab, Windows seems to need to think really hard as to how my display should look going back to the desktop. Alt-tabbing with my capture card enabled takes about 15-30 seconds whereas normally it takes less than 5 seconds. This is very annoying for playing games because if I want to do anything outside of the game I have to sit and wait for longer than I'd like. Are there any solutions to this? Is there anyway I can change my capture card's native resolution to 1080p? If it helps, my graphics card is a Nvidia 1080Ti.

Solution
are you connecting via hdmi or usb? I can find solutions regarding 720p with relation to using specific USB connectors.

Turns out AVerMedia has a specific USB 3.0 type you need to use, so switching from my plain 3.0 port to my 3.0 UASP port fixed the issue.

link

720 isn't the lowest it can go, lucky it doesn't choose 480 instead
Max Record Resolutions:1080p60
Supported Resolutions (Video input):1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i

i wonder if this also happens on win 10

as that could be the cause of screens showing as 720 even though you have it set as 1080

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you connecting via hdmi or usb? I can find solutions regarding 720p with relation to using specific USB connectors.

Turns out AVerMedia has a specific USB 3.0 type you need to use, so switching from my plain 3.0 port to my 3.0 UASP port fixed the issue.

link

Max Record Resolutions:1080p60
Supported Resolutions (Video input):1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, 480i

as that could be the cause of screens showing as 720 even though you have it set as 1080

Solution

EderP

Reputable
Jun 5, 2019

link

The connection from my main PC to the capture card is via HDMI, then from the capture card to my stream PC is via USB. The issue in the video you provided seems to be similar though I already tried using the scaling options. When I duplicate my main display to the capture card, it sets everything to 720p, 150% scaling so I turn the resolution up to 1080p, 100% scaling. On Windows itself everything looks fine, nothing is oversized or oddly scaled. Issues only seem to appear when applications go into exclusive fullscreen mode. Where going in and out of fullscreen takes a long time and some games appear to be scaled oddly (For instance in Apex Legends, my cursor in-game appears to be scaled to 150%, despite being scaled normally at 100% when on the desktop).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Obviously 720p @ 150% is a default setting somewhere on the capture card, I can't find any reference to it. Clearly some games use native instead of scaled... wait, I know that... i have 4k running at 150%. Some games are soo tiny.

might need to contact Avermedia and see if anyway to change that to 1080p. I assume you have latest software as it might be an option in the software.

EderP

Reputable
Jun 5, 2019
I've found a solution within the scaling settings of Windows 10. There is an option in the display settings to set a custom scaling settings across all displays (this option is under "Advanced Scaling Settings"). I simply set the value to 100% and the scaling issue is gone now. Alt-tabbing is still weird but this works for now. My only issue is that the custom scaling is forced upon every display, and now my 4K monitor has everything looking tiny. Gonna have to try to find a way around that, otherwise if anyone is looking for a solution for the scaling issue this is it.

Nov 26, 2019
I use a capture card for streaming gameplay that's connected to another PC. The capture card (Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme GC550) seems to have a native resolution of 720p, however, I bump that up to 1080p to match the display of my main PC that I use for gaming. My issue is that when I play a game, it seems to get confused as to what resolution it should default to. Most games stay at 1080p, however some will default to 720p for every new launch and it's annoying to have to change it every time I want to play. The worst part is that when I alt-tab, Windows seems to need to think really hard as to how my display should look going back to the desktop. Alt-tabbing with my capture card enabled takes about 15-30 seconds whereas normally it takes less than 5 seconds. This is very annoying for playing games because if I want to do anything outside of the game I have to sit and wait for longer than I'd like. Are there any solutions to this? Is there anyway I can change my capture card's native resolution to 1080p? If it helps, my graphics card is a Nvidia 1080Ti.

Hello there, did you fix the tabbing issue? I recently changed from an Elgato to an Avermedia hoping it would fix my case however it did not.

Do you have the solution as to why it flickers when I tab out?

Discord: Prinzy#6446
Twitter: @ItsPrinzy

get in contact and I would appreciate it, I don't use this forum so I cannot reply.

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
hello. i don't have experience with capture cards, but you could try CRU.

before using CRU, it is recommended you either have a second display or are able to get to safe mode. if you mess up the EDID too much, your display won't work proper. CRU doesn't make changes to the display and only overrides the EDID information reported to the OS. if needed, you can just delete EDID at the top of CRU and recover like that. with that being said... just removing unwanted resolutions should be completely safe.

make sure the display in question is currently active, or else CRU won't display the extension block, if one is reported at all by the display.

with CRU you could just remove all the resolutions you don't want. the OS should see whatever is the highest resolution as either native or recommended.

worst case scenario... remove all possible resolutions from EDID with CRU and go to extension blocks. if you can't see an extension block... add either CEA-861 or VTB-EXT. under the bottom section, Data blocks, add and use TV resolutions.