Is this a decent system that I just ordered?

repairtechs

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
I just ordered all parts needed for my gaming system - Would like some reviews. I do a little web programming, work in blender, and want to game with some friends on battlegrounds.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rXgg9W

I am currently a network admin at FSU and use to be a technical support analyst before my promotion. I will also use the pc to do remote vpn work on switches.

I think over all i made decent choices.

Once again just some reviews would be nice. I will post a picture after the build is complete this week!

Solution
^ oh , you can absolutely use the 120s mate , just that a 140mm fan at 1000rpm pushes the same air as a 120mm at 1400-1600rpm

Meaning you get the same airflow with less noise

Already got the fans ?? Use them all as intakes is my advice , you can fit 2x120s in the front along with the included 140mm as far as I'm aware.

As I said removing the moduvent covers from the top ruins the clean aesthetics of the fractal cases & also the sound isolation (their main draw IMO)

Lutfij

Titan
You should've gone for DDR4-3200MHz rams. At that price point for a system, I don't see why couldn't include an SSD into the mix. You could also get by with a Cryorig H7 cooler instead of the MSI cooler.

If you've purchased them, are you sure you can return them for another product?

repairtechs

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
From what i read anything over 2400MHz was considered overclocked for the board.... Will i notice a huge difference with the memory I choose? I do have plans on grabbing a SSD this week before the build! If I plan to buy more memory in the future and keep what i ordered for now can i buy 3200MHZ ram to add on to the 2400MHZ?

Over all though will my system zip through what I plan to use it for?

Faster memory will help a little, and Intel systems have little problems with running overclocked memory, just activate the XMP profile in the BIOS to get it up to full speed.
You can add faster memory to the DDR4 2400, but it'll run at DDR4 2400 speed, so it'll just be an unwarranted expense, I suggest you either return the DDR4 2400 memory and swap it for faster, or add DDR4 2400 later.

repairtechs

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

So at this point is it OK just to keep the 2400 and add 2400 later for what I am trying to accomplish. Id much rather not deal with returning the parts now as I am ready to get this system up and running. But if i am just going to notice such a big difference than using 3200mhz and made a bad choice of ram then ill return it....

Thanks,

I'd have gone ryzen personally but yes its rock solid & will play anything out there at good settings.

You could have gone faster ram (performance really isn't going to be detrimental though) , you could have saved $30 on the cooler (once again not detrimental) - you SHOULD have absolutely included an ssd with that budget.

Overall a very good system though with no real weak choices.

I wouldn't worry about the memory, it'll only add a little to overall performance, not worth the hassle of returning parts to gain <>5% performance.

Overall it's a solid, well thought out setup, excellent at 1080 rez and it'll run 1440 pretty well, too. That cooler is a bit overlooked, BTW, it's actually received some good reviews as I recall. Only criticism would be the lack of an SSD, go on, add a nice little 2.5" SATA 256Gb drive for boot/most used apps, if you're used to a HDD you'll find the improvement almost game changing.

repairtechs

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

Thanks for your reply!! I will get a SSD this week before I put the build together! I have yet one more question. I decided to add 2 more 120 mm fans to my build. I am wondering if i should add one more to the front and one to the top or bottom? If you look at the case you will notice the one fan in the front and one in the back.

Thanks

No mate , don't buy 120s .
That case takes 140mm fans , both the fans included are 140mm.

My advice just add 1 more 140mm fan to the build , the bottom & side intakes are fairly worth less & will add noise.
Using the top slots you need to remove the modvent cover which once again spoils both the looks & sound isolation of the case.

Take that rear exhaust that's included , remove it & fit it as an extra front intake so youbhave 2 matching fans in the front
Buy another decent 140mm & refit it in the rear exhaust slot.

So 2 x 140mm intakes , 1x 140mm rear exhaust.

That's more than enough for your build.

repairtechs

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

I should have went with the 140mm but I do notice that the specs show ......

Top: 3 x 120/140 mm fan (not included) or 1 x 180 mm fan with 165mm hole spacing (not included)
Bottom: 1 x 120/140 mm fan (not included)
Front: 3 x 120/140 mm fans (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
Rear: 1 x 120/140 mm fan (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)

^ oh , you can absolutely use the 120s mate , just that a 140mm fan at 1000rpm pushes the same air as a 120mm at 1400-1600rpm

Meaning you get the same airflow with less noise

Already got the fans ?? Use them all as intakes is my advice , you can fit 2x120s in the front along with the included 140mm as far as I'm aware.

As I said removing the moduvent covers from the top ruins the clean aesthetics of the fractal cases & also the sound isolation (their main draw IMO)

Solution

repairtechs

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017

I added my build to pc part picker. Check it out

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Y98Ycf