Question Is this build okay?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NdWgfP
My only concern is the powersupply, because i will be using that from my current custom built pc from 2018 with an 6700k , i just want to know if everything will work even the psu. And if there is a better intel 11th gen cpu thats better than the 10700k. Or if the i7 11700k is worth the money. Im just looking for the best cpu but around $300-$380. Gpu im not looking to upgrade, im using that with the 6700k atm. I used a pcbuild website to see if anything would bottleneck but idk if its accurate

Last edited:
Swap the K for F.
Change 32GB to 16GB
Lose the $10 fans since your case already comes with fans
Get a much cheaper B460 motherboard that doesn’t support overclocking
Swap the cooler to a smaller one

These changes save approx $400 / 30% of the system cost with zero performance sacrifice.

Now you have value for money.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qp46fP
The K will give him more longevity not to mention better out of the box performanceand quicksync if required. And if you do not have a spare GPU, the iGPU can save you a lot of trouble during troubleshooting. For all of that, its 50 bucks well spent. The z590 will give him better audio, lan, memory controllers as well as more PCIe lanes and additional connectors. The 32gb can give him more ability to multitask, not to mention more longevity again. The cooler is fine for K cpu.
I would only make those changes if budget is tight.

Last edited:

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Sure. Although in 10+ years of owning cpus with onboard graphics, I've done this exactly zero times. Then again I don’t tend to overclock my GPUs or crypto mine so I don’t tend to have issues with them.

If you think that might be an issue then keep an old GPU around just in case.
My only yhing though is the 10700k and 10700kf for have a clock speed of 3.8 and boost clock of 5.1. And 11700f is 2.5 clock speed with 4.9 base clock speed. What anyone should look out for when picking a cpu is the boost clock or core clock, like whatever is highest?? Along with cores and threads?? Im terrible at choosing those kinds of things. Another question so on the userbenchmark website where it compares cpus and gpus. It says the i9 11900k is #1 for fastest and so on. But is that website accurate??
Because is going off by votes for the most part. Ive always used that website to compare cpus. Just like the i5 11600k is in 7th place beating the i9 11900k. Another question so on the userbenchmark website where it compares cpus and gpus. It says the i9 11900k is #1 for fastest and so on. But is that website accurate??
Because is going off by votes for the most part. Ive always used that website to compare cpus. Just like the i5 11600k is in 7th place beating the i9 10900k beating other popular cpus that i was told were fast like the i7 11700. Im so confused. Like you were saying the 11700f is the fastest but it has a lower clock speed of 2.5 and boost clock of 4.9. And on the website its in 23rd place for speed. Just right above what i was originally going to chose the 10700k. And the 11700kf is in 4th, im comfused. All im looking for is the fastest with at least 8 cores and 16 threads and somehwhat future proof. I compared amds to intels cpus and i know amds 5000 series are great but the only on in my budget is the 5600x. I was told the 11th gen from intel kinda sucks except the 11600k and to go for 10th gen

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The K will give him more longevity
not to mention better out of the box performance. And if you do not have a spare GPU, the iGPU can save you a lot of trouble during troubleshooting. For all of that, its 50 bucks well spent. The z590 will give him better audio, lan, memory controllers as well as more PCIe lanes and additional connectors. The 32gb can give him more ability to multitask, not to mention more longevity again. The cooler is fine for K cpu.
I would only make those changes if budget is tight.

More longevity = False. Both CPUs are equally durable.

Out of the box performance = False. The F is physically identical to the K. The only difference is that the clock multiplier is hard-locked so you can’t change it. The two chips perform identically.

iGPU being useful for debugging. True. But this does not justify the additional $50 since a basic, old used GPU can be found for $10 in the unlikely event you don’t already have one or can’t find one for free.

Z590 having better quality audio = False. Onboard audio quality is identical between both boards. You might lose out on some Dolby 7.1 features which nobody ever uses.

“Better” LAN and Memory controllers? False. I don’t know what this even means. Memory and LAN performance will be identical on both boards.

More PCI-E lanes and more connectors = True. However, since OP is not planning on adding more than 6 SATA drives or using dual GPUs, irrelevant. Does not impact gaming performance.

32GB more ability to multitask = False. You would only use more than 16GB in huge Photoshop tasks or large 3D rendering tasks. Neither of which are games. Multitasking ability is not defined by how much RAM is available. Having 32GB of RAM when 99% of users never use more than 16GB is wasteful and not good value for money.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
My only yhing though is the 10700k and 10700kf for have a clock speed of 3.8 and boost clock of 5.1. And 11700f is 2.5 clock speed with 4.9 base clock speed. What anyone should look out for when picking a cpu is the boost clock or core clock, like whatever is highest?? Along with cores and threads?? Im terrible at choosing those kinds of things. Another question so on the userbenchmark website where it compares cpus and gpus. It says the i9 11900k is #1 for fastest and so on. But is that website accurate??
Because is going off by votes for the most part. Ive always used that website to compare cpus. Just like the i5 11600k is in 7th place beating the i9 10900k beating other popular cpus that i was told were fast like the i7 11700. Im so confused

At this point clock speeds are just meaningless numbers. Look at real-world benchmarks to compare them. Type “10700k vs 10700F” into google and read the comparison reviews. There are dozens of sites that do in-depth hardware comparisons and let you know exactly what the performance difference is between various chips.

What I will say is this: It doesn’t matter.

9700, 9700F, 9700K, 10700F, 10700K, 11700F, 11700K

Are all effectively the same CPU. You wouldn’t be able to tell which is faster by using the PC. Only synthetic benchmarks would show any difference.

It really doesn’t matter which you choose, all will give roughly the same performance in Cyberpunk. The main difference is price.

More longevity = False. Both CPUs are equally durable.
When pairing a 4xxx or 5xxx series Nvidia card, the non K will fall short way earlier.

Out of the box performance = False. The F is physically identical to the K. The only difference is that the clock multiplier is hard-locked so you can’t change it. The two chips perform identically.
2.9ghz vs 3.8ghz base clock, I am sure you can do the math.

iGPU being useful for debugging. True. But this does not justify the additional $50 since a basic, old used GPU can be found for $10 in the unlikely event you don’t already have one or can’t find one for free.
Good luck finding a $10 working card.

Z590 having better quality audio = False. Onboard audio quality is identical between both boards. You might lose out on some Dolby 7.1 features which nobody ever uses.
Difference in Audio and LAN codecs here...
https://nl.hardware.info/vergelijking/producten/571745-573758

32GB more ability to multitask = False. You would only use more than 16GB in huge Photoshop tasks or large 3D rendering tasks. Neither of which are games. Multitasking ability is not defined by how much RAM is available. Having 32GB of RAM when 99% of users never use more than 16GB is wasteful and not good value for money.
RAM 16gb can be mostly sufficient for most games but of you are streaming and have some chrome tabs open in the background that creates a lot of pressure, not to mention your system reserves some RAM for background operations. Not necessary but good to have.

The K chip will require all the cooling and those fans are pretty highly rated.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
At this point clock speeds are just meaningless numbers. Look at real-world benchmarks to compare them. Type “10700k vs 10700F” into google and read the comparison reviews. There are dozens of sites that do in-depth hardware comparisons and let you know exactly what the performance difference is between various chips.

What I will say is this: It doesn’t matter.

9700, 9700F, 9700K, 10700F, 10700K, 11700F, 11700K

Are all effectively the same CPU. You wouldn’t be able to tell which is faster by using the PC. Only synthetic benchmarks would show any difference.

It really doesn’t matter which you choose, all will give roughly the same performance in Cyberpunk. The main difference is price.
ok so your advice to give me would go for a 11700f? I will say my current 6700k in bios it had an option for OC or so called “game boost” from 4.0 ghz to 4.4. Is that worth it just to get the k version?? Or kf version since its a bit cheaper, i just keep going back to 10th gen and 11th gen thats all, and can’t decide

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
There is hardly much difference between 10th and 11th gen...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnWA7-XzAzM

I would go with this for best value for money...
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | $320.20 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Deepcool ASSASSIN III 90.37 CFM CPU Cooler | $89.99 @ B&H
Motherboard | Asus TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard | $250.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $187.99 @ Adorama
Storage | HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $129.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card |-
Case | Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | $79.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | EVGA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply |-
Case Fan | Scythe Slipstream 110.31 CFM 120 mm Fan | $9.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1089.11
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-08 05:23 EDT-0400 |

You can also go with AMD...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | $427.03 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Deepcool ASSASSIN III 90.37 CFM CPU Cooler | $89.99 @ B&H
Motherboard | Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard | $192.99 @ B&H
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory | $187.99 @ Adorama
Storage | HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $129.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card |-
Case | Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case | $79.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | EVGA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply |-
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $1137.94
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-08 05:30 EDT-0400 |
I already have a case at the moment and powerspply, most stuff i have with my current build i would use towards my new one so all i need is new cpu, new mobo, new ram and storage, i have HDD atm and getting ssd

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
When pairing a 4xxx or 5xxx series Nvidia card, the non K will fall short way earlier.

2.9ghz vs 3.8ghz base clock, I am sure you can do the math.

Good luck finding a $10 working card.

Difference in Audio and LAN codecs here...
https://nl.hardware.info/vergelijking/producten/571745-573758

RAM 16gb can be mostly sufficient for most games but of you are streaming and have some chrome tabs open in the background that creates a lot of pressure, not to mention your system reserves some RAM for background operations. Not necessary but good to have.

The K chip will require all the cooling and those fans are pretty highly rated.
I picked out a lian li aio liquid cooler and i have plenty of fans in my case atm but ill have 2 sticks of 16

I already have a case at the moment and powerspply, most stuff i have with my current build i would use towards my new one so all i need is new cpu, new mobo, new ram and storage, i have HDD atm and getting ssd
Well, then just chuck out all the parts you have from the list and go for the rest. Liquid cooler doesnt make too much of a difference unless its very high end but if you want eye candy then thats the way to go.

Swap the K for F.
Change 32GB to 16GB
Get a much cheaper B460 motherboard that doesn’t support overclocking
Swap the cooler to a smaller one

These changes save approx $400 / 30% of the system cost with zero performance sacrifice.

Now you have value for money.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qp46fP
The OP can run 3200Mhz RAM with a B560 board.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
ok so your advice to give me would go for a 11700f? I will say my current 6700k in bios it had an option for OC or so called “game boost” from 4.0 ghz to 4.4. Is that worth it just to get the k version?? Or kf version since its a bit cheaper, i just keep going back to 10th gen and 11th gen thats all, and can’t decide

Get whichever one you want, they all perform the exact same in games. The differences are absolutely minimal and you don’t lose anything either way except money. If money is unimportant to you, get the 11700K and a B590 motherboard. If you want to save money but still get incredible performance in games, get the 10700F and a B460 motherboard. The framerate in Cyberpunk will be identical on both setups.

Forget “Game boost”. This is just CPU overclocking. I’m starting to think you’re not even really taking in the information people are giving you at this point.

CPU overclocking is over in 2021. You gain next to nothing from doing it since the chips are clocked so close to their absolute max these days at the factory. If you push it any further you end up with a molten hot lump of silicon for a 5% improvement in clock speed.

Leave it at stock. This will be the fifth time someone has said this to you in this thread.

And what? FPS in games is largely unaffected by RAM speed, especially on an Intel platform. 2666MHz RAM is more than adequate and still rapid AF.
The price difference between a B560 and a B460 is minimal.

Green highlight in those benchmarks is that cpu paired w/3200Mhz RAM.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
The price difference between a B560 and a B460 is minimal.

Green highlight in those benchmarks is that cpu paired w/3200Mhz RAM.

Hmm I didn’t notice Asus had just launched their B560-PLUS motherboard for pretty much the same price as a good B460 motherboard.

Get that then. You might as well have the best chipset you can get if there’s such a small difference in price.

Reactions: Why_Me