[SOLVED] Is this CPU temperature normal?

ZaHiD298

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
Hello!
I've recently built my new system and it's been a mixed experience so far. Initially, the day that the system was built, it just turned off automatically. However, the problem seemed to be solved over time (it has been around 1 month since the build and I haven't face the sudden turn-off issue since the first day). However, my CPU temperature seems kinda high in idle use (https://prnt.sc/1thj7az). Moreover, the CPU temperature seems to spike at regular intervals. Is this normal for an AMD build? [I'm using the stock cooler though that came with the processor. Full specs are given below:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500X
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 DS3H
RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 3200 Mhz
Power Supply: Corsair CV 550 Watt
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7750

Solution
Couple of points:
  • Ryzen CPUs report the hottest thing in the CPU. It does not necessarily mean the entire processor is that hot
  • Spikes are normal, as the OS is still giving the CPU house keeping tasks to do periodically. This usually gets shoved onto one core, which boosts to the maximum frequency, and thus, gets really hot.
However the temperature does seem a bit higher than what I'd expect. What CPU cooler and case do you have?

Also switch over to HWiNFO for temperature reporting. It provides more details.
Couple of points:
  • Ryzen CPUs report the hottest thing in the CPU. It does not necessarily mean the entire processor is that hot
  • Spikes are normal, as the OS is still giving the CPU house keeping tasks to do periodically. This usually gets shoved onto one core, which boosts to the maximum frequency, and thus, gets really hot.
However the temperature does seem a bit higher than what I'd expect. What CPU cooler and case do you have?

Reactions: ZaHiD298
Solution

ZaHiD298

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
Couple of points:

I'm using the stock cooler that came with the processor
And here's HWiNFO stats: https://prnt.sc/1thn5la

Last edited: