Is water cooling have a great impact on ability to OC?

destwong

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
is water cooling have a great impact on ability to OC?

example custom water cool loop cost around $450~$650 (with 2 GPU and 1 cpu)
It it really worth it ?? (in term of max performance gain vs money spend)

millwright

Distinguished
No, not even the top CPUs are worth it, (in term of max performance gain vs money spend)

I know that is kinda apples and oranges, but never is the highest cost component cost effective.

That being said, I'm pretty sure, water won't overclock, any better than the best phase change coolers. (still expensive)
edit
Waters other advantage, quiet operation.

It really depends on what your tying to do.

Lets say your tying to overclock a i5 around 4.0 - 4.2 well a good air cooler will do that. But lets say your running a lot of benchmarks and trying to see how high you can overclock a cpu within a fair budget, then yes water is the way to go.

My old system was a i7 950 that was on a custom dangerden water loop, ran all day long at 24/7 (i never shut my computer off) 4.6ghz and for benchmarks could up it to just over 4.8ghz. Ive never seen anyone get close to 4.8ghz on air. So water has its reasons and so does phase change. Phase change cant run 24/7 and is very expensive.

rshillshooter81

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Couldn't have said it better myself! :bounce:

millwright

Distinguished
"(in term of max performance gain vs money spend)"

A regular heat pipe cooler, Vs a high end water cooler, water can overclock higher, but 300 or 400 MHZ.

I know it is not a real alternative, but a phase change unit, can produce negative temps.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7324/ex-vap-16/Cooler_Express_2013_Design_Super_Dual_Evaporators_CPU_Cooling_Unit_w_Upgraded_Socket_Kits_-_Sockets_AM2_AM3_LGA_1156_LGA_1366_LGA_2011_CE-48-D-2C.html?tl=g49&id=FDgHuy5B

I meant it as another example, of lots of money, for little gain

Both phase and peltiers are both great cooling systems. there is still much more to the system that needs to be done then just slapping one of those on. you have to frost/water proof the board, while peltiers need the own power supply to run.

I've played with almost every cooling solution, air is the easiest, then water, phase and peltiers are about the same but are harder to set up then water, and LN2 is the hardest to run but about the same setup as phase and peltiers. Just have to keep remembering to fill the pot.

nine times out of ten you ruin the board when doing phase and peltiers because of the frost proofing that has to be done.

almost every time you make the step past watercooling the rig is never a daily user anymore its for benchmark running, meaning you have a second rig to use for gaming and everyday use while you overclock the crap out of the first one.

destwong

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

how much higher?
i got a fx 8350

There are a few things we need to know.

What are your system specs?
Are you overclocking now? If you are how fast, volts, and temps.

How high really depends on temps and how much you want to push your system. I'm not one for AMD so most likly i wont be able to answere a lot of quetions when it comes to overclocking them.

I know for intel for everyday gaming use the sweet spot is around 4.2ghz. The ghz to heat to added fps just arent there. I now game on a i7 2600k and have it running @ 4.1ghz, it stays very cool and uses low voltage. For benchmarking I can turn it up to 5.4ghz and still stay within good temps, I've only been limited by my motherboard on voltage as to why i havent gone faster. I could override the MB and turn the voltage up more but this is where the are you comfertable with doing so, and i am not as of now.