[SOLVED] Is XMP safe?

rinden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2015
Hi, new to XMP-ing stuffs.
Would like to know if is safe to XMP my ram to 3200mhz or ideally just keep it to factory default which is 2667mhz so I can "preserve" my computer lifespan.

Thanks!

My main build components are
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk AM4
Asus Rtx 3060 12gb
2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX ddr4 3200mhz
Kioxia 500gb ssd
Gigabyte P750GM 750w gold psu

Solution
Would like to know if is safe to XMP my ram to 3200mhz or ideally just keep it to factory default which is 2667mhz so I can "preserve" my computer lifespan.

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Asus Rtx 3060 12gb
Kioxia 500gb ssd

Hello!

XMP is a “safe” type of overclock.
It overclocks the CPUs memory controller and it usually boosts the voltage of the memory modules from 1.2V to 1.35V.

Though XMP was guaranteed by the vendor of the module and the vendor of the motherboard, it still runs out of spec!
That XMP speed was not approved by either JEDEC or AMD!

CONCLUSION:
XMP won’t...

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is. If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't sell it with XMP.
Believe me raising it from 2667 to 3200 won't affect your RAM lifespan. I have never heard about dead or burned RAM. Memory sticks are one of the toughest parts in computer. It's extremely rare to see dead RAM.

It's technically an overclock as it's not part of the JEDEC specs for DDR4, however the manufacturers intend for you to use it. It's generally safe though sticking to the 1.35v for the IMC is advisable, as you will be at 3200Mhz. It will not meaningfully affect the lifespan of your CPU.

Endre

Reputable

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Asus Rtx 3060 12gb
Kioxia 500gb ssd

Hello!

XMP is a “safe” type of overclock.
It overclocks the CPUs memory controller and it usually boosts the voltage of the memory modules from 1.2V to 1.35V.

Though XMP was guaranteed by the vendor of the module and the vendor of the motherboard, it still runs out of spec!
That XMP speed was not approved by either JEDEC or AMD!

CONCLUSION:
XMP won’t harm your PC, but it can happen after some time, that it will give you weird errors, random crashes, or it might no longer work at all!

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
It’s safe, but increases temperature in your PC generally. If your PC was already on the ragged edge of temperature, running at 90C, then XMP might be enough to push you over the edge and make it unstable / thermal throttle.

Most likely that is not the case though, and you will be totally fine.

It's generally safe, but it's not guaranteed to work.

As far as life span of the components are concerned, the only thing that would affect that is temperature. As far as I can tell, the inside of the computer warming up due to me playing a game or something is the thing that increases my RAM's temperature, not the RAM operating at a faster speed.