ISP Sends Customer a Spare Router for His Cat to Nap On

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
[citation][nom]hotroderx[/nom]Thats awesome customer service yes its a odd odd issue but the fact the company did something to help says so much about them.[/citation]
Yeah that they were bored and wasting time on reddit...

G

@andboomer

The usefulness of stress revilers are very limited, they are designed to spread point load forces over a wider area (ie prevent pinching) and will not do much to negate any significant longitudinal forces that the wire may undergo. It would appear Logitech are not the only folks to be stress redeliverless, all recent MS mouse appear to lack them too if i recall. In reality if you are prone to breaking the internal wires then a stress relief will only delay the inevitable, a detachable replaceable cord would probably be more up your street

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The next craze is going to be fabric covered routers, with a nice soft spot for the cat to sit on, and a small plate for food. I can imagine all the girls would go for this "cat friendly" router. And they could advertise their router accepts Cat 5, Cat 6, and Cat Maine wise scholar. It would be a big seller in retail.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]If he had just kept his CRT monitor this would have never been a problem.....Cats love CRT monitors haah[/citation]
Yeah, mine did too, but when she had a runny nose I would come home to find cat snot running down the screen
eeewwwwwww

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Only in the UK. Note greedy ISP's in america would never ever ...[/citation]

"You say you have a cat problem?"

"Yup."

"Alright, I'll check about a month from now. Then I'll roll two 20-faced dices and if I get a 40, then I'll read your complaint. But we might not give you a decoy."

G

Or he could just have raised the cat so it wouldn't sit on things it's not supposed to sit on. It's possible to teach animals what they're allowed to do and what they're not allowed to do without being mean to them or anything like that. Many pet owners don't seem to realize that.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. All I'm saying is that if a 99 cent extension cord can have stress relief built in to the attachment points, you'd think Logitech could figure it out on a $99 mouse.[/citation]
I've been using Logitech mice for the last 20 years. I've never had one fail in 6 months. In fact, I've never had a Logitech mouse fail at all.

G

I heard his modem now gets 1000Kbps (Kibble & Bits per second)

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
I had a cat that slept under the covers with its head on the pillow.

How are CRTs unhealthy? For cats, they are unhealthy. Mine would always fall off of them in mid nap.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Obviously not an American ISP. There would have been a canned response, major billing errors by now, collections agencies, and other issues.

I have a pet bearded dragon who does stuff like this. He always wants to climb on stuff that's not his, then sit there atop it. His absolute favorite is warm computer exhaust. He used to park himself behind the graphics card exhaust on my soon-to-be previous laptop and watch me play games. He would spread out his body to bask.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]HydraMouseTail[/nom]@andboomerThe usefulness of stress revilers are very limited, they are designed to spread point load forces over a wider area (ie prevent pinching) and will not do much to negate any significant longitudinal forces that the wire may undergo. It would appear Logitech are not the only folks to be stress redeliverless, all recent MS mouse appear to lack them too if i recall. In reality if you are prone to breaking the internal wires then a stress relief will only delay the inevitable, a detachable replaceable cord would probably be more up your street[/citation]

you have no idea how much i wish detachable cords were the norm... i have lost so many headphones and mice because of the coard, a tablet, a keyboard, hell i even lost detachable cables due to crappy builds (granted in those cases it was better than spending 150+ on a new device)

my little brother has so far lost a mouse and 3 headphones because of crappy fail points (the thing in the middle of the cord)

if detachable cables were the norm, than all that would need to be replaced would be a cable but at the same time, if the cable was detachable, most of what goes wrong with a cable would be fixed...

G

Why didn't he/she place the router sideways or something? Even better, why does the ISP even bothered to aswer to this, let alone spend resources?

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
The problem could have been solved with a small electrical blanket, it's not that they love routers and electronics it's that they like to stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.