Israeli Security Opens Fire on a MacBook. Thrice.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckim2116

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

She was told by airport personnel to leave the bag.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
?

Its standard procedure for IDF to shoot people's belongings at the border?

Well, there goes my planned trip to Jerusalem, I happen to carry a MacBook Pro and an iPod.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
[citation][nom]Jaspel[/nom]So they shoot the lithium cell, it explodes. Now she is in handcuffs...[/citation]

I don't think Lithium batteries will explode when being shot...

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
First thing was laughing on the spot when opening the article and seeing the shot down Macbook. I couldnt help it, soryr. Next was to consider how fucked up this is whil reading the article.

Fact is that one way or the other those ppl were useless cause they ended up ruining a laptop with the intention to blow it up, they returned it and wasnt even blown up so their job was not done properly and the HDD was ( thankfully for that poor woman, Lily ) even intact.

DUMBASSES.

P.S. They need Sony to teach them how laptops blow up. or even Sony could do a Vaio marketing through this: "Blow THAAAT up ;)"

avi85

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
This is how they probably "shot" the laptop, it's a bomb defusing robot, and it used on anything that is left unattended and not claimed within a couple of minutes, if you had to live in a place where terrorists leave bombs near crowds of civilians, you would understand...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Kvp3cQ8Gc&NR=1

also, she is either a liar or extremely dumb... (airport personnel would never tell her to leave her bag unattended...)

G

Anyone in Israel knows NEVER to leave your bags unattended. That's plain stupidity. I would NEVER EVER leave my bag with my MacBook Pro ANYWHERE, regardless even of the security considerations of the country I live in. It is simply too important. Just for this neglect, she deserves her MacBook shot :)

About the procedure itself, it is standard procedure. They clear the area completely, in a pretty large radius. Then they use a robot armed with a Shotgun, they drive it all the way to the suspected bag, and shoot it. The gun used is some kind of an improvised Shotgun, that's why the bullet holes are so big.

Needless to say, people who are evacuated, are kinda pissed off about the stupid idiot who left the bag unattended. And there is NO way ANY official employee in Israel, or even any Israeli, would tell anyone to leave a bag unattended. There are places where you can store your bag for a tiny fee (around 2 Euros or less).

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
@ Marcus Yam - Why didn't you try and get the airport's response?
This article leaves people lots of room for speculations, and some are very offending.

probably made by people who never had to experience what it's like to have a bus blowing up 5 minutes from their house (regardless of who's right and wrong) and know since they're born that they have to give their country at least 3 years from their better years + 4 weeks a year as reserve until they're ~40+.

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Here in Israel- You cannot leave a bag unsupervised. We have a lot of history of side bombs & as you can imagine an airport is a supper sensitive point. any terrorist will love to blow up a terminal in Israel.

Terrorist problems is not something new or unknown, fortunately.
this Lily behaved irresponsibly.
In fact, if i remember correctly it's a felony to leave a bag unsupervised.

For those great thinkers who suggested to scan the bag- if it's a bomb it will blow up! killing a lot of people.
a laptop vs. a lot of people, even if it contains all her work etc...
we better say goodbye from the laptop, and go to 20-30 people's funerals.

As a law student, if i leave my back in the library & got to lunch, & the security finds it, calls the police to check etc... it's a 250 shekels (60$) fine.

Every public place has signs- Do Not Leave things unsupervised.

I'm very sorry for this lady's bag, but the reality here is different. in this case- it's a laptop with a lot of important stuff, vs. lot's of lives.

Lily I hope you're drive is ok & you'll recover all your media and information.

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Here in Israel- You cannot leave a bag unsupervised. We have a lot of history of side bombs & as you can imagine an airport is a supper sensitive point. any terrorist will love to blow up a terminal in Israel.

For those great thinkers who suggested to scan the bag- if it's a bomb it will blow up! killing a lot of people.

As a law student, if i leave my back in the library & got to lunch, & the security finds it, calls the police to check etc... it's a 250 shekels (60$) fine.

I'm very sorry for this lady's bag, but the reality here is different. in this case- it's a laptop with a lot of important stuff, vs. lot's of lives.

z_dori

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I reckon the security forces saw a Macbook on the inside first.

They knew about the iPhone batteries exploding and thought the Macbook battery would take out half the airport.

BOOM, the Big Mac Suic-iBomb!!!

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Actually, I wonder if the unibody design makes it more difficult to penetrate with X-rays than a typical laptop. If they couldn't see the innards on the scan it may have just looked like a metal box and some wires.

G

"What….all my client case notes and testimony, writing, pictures, music and applications. Years of work. NO!!!! What?? Are you insane?? What were you thinking? THAT’S ALL MY WORK!?"

I feel no pity for people who don't backup their data.

Status
Not open for further replies.