Question Issue with cloned ssd

aidanopitz

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Yo! Got a custom im trynna upgrade. Had a 128gb kingston ssd for like 5 years and need a bigger one. Bought a 1tb samsung ssd. Been spending the past 6 hours figuring out how to clone the os along with everything from the kingston to the samsung. Most things have been fine, however, whenever i unplug the old drive (kingston) my pc goes into recovery mode and says its missing files. When the kingston is plugged in, the new drive appears on boot menu and in bios. But when the kingston is unplugged, the new drive doesnt appear on either. Very confused! Had another confusing thing n found out i have the boot partition on my old ssd, and the system partition on one of my hdds. Im pretty sure i cloned all of the right ones onto the new drive. So im at a loss! Appreciate anyone that takes the time to read and respond. Thank u

Lutfij

Titan
Had another confusing thing n found out i have the boot partition on my old ssd, and the system partition on one of my hdds.
You might want to reinstall the OS onto the new SSD, and format the partition that the OS made on the HDD.

Model of your Samsung SSD and the make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

Might want to pass on an image of what you see in Disk Management to corroborate what you're saying since some people have ended up jumping first before looking.

aidanopitz

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Had another confusing thing n found out i have the boot partition on my old ssd, and the system partition on one of my hdds.
You might want to reinstall the OS onto the new SSD, and format the partition that the OS made on the HDD.

Model of your Samsung SSD and the make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard?

Might want to pass on an image of what you see in Disk Management to corroborate what you're saying since some people have ended up jumping first before looking.
For sure gonna get all that once im off from work, appreciate u

aidanopitz

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017

also forgot to mention! samsung 870 EVO 2.5", MB is a Z270 PC Mate, BIOS Vers. 1.60

aidanopitz

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Yes.
The EFI partition on Disk 1.

What do you have on the current 120GB drive?
It might be better to just do a clean install on the new 1TB, and don't worry about the clone.
Honestly not too sure! Im not the best at organizing <Mod Edit> stuff in my drive but its some personal stuff on it. I thought about doing a clean install but idk i just want this to work lol

Last edited by a moderator:

aidanopitz

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
Yes.
The EFI partition on Disk 1.

What do you have on the current 120GB drive?
It might be better to just do a clean install on the new 1TB, and don't worry about the clone.
Do u think its not workin because theres things on 2 separate drives needed for it to boot? Thats what im thinkin but idrk. I tried cloning the whole of disk 1 and the small partitions of disk 2 but im not sure why its not workin, appreciate the responses

I tried cloning the whole of disk 1 and the small partitions of disk 2 but im not sure why its not workin, appreciate the responses

That's not likely to work.

Cloning is typically ALL of this disk or ALL of that disk. Not parts of each.

If you want PART of this disk and PART of that disk, you might investigate imaging rather than cloning.

Or just do a clean install.

But having parts of Windows on 2 different drives is likely causing you trouble.

If you can repair things so you CAN boot with only one drive connected, then your clone might well work. That problem is typically repairable.

If cloning fails, you could try imaging instead. Either might lead you to the promised land if you refuse to do a clean install.

At a bare minimum, you should copy your disorganized personal files off to some other drive manually before you go any farther.