Mar 8, 2014
Specs:
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper T4
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
Memory: 16gb RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
Wifi Adapter: Netgear A6210

I am having an issue where I am having inconsistent connections with the things plugged into the USB ports on my motherboard. Earlier I was not able to get my wifi adapter or mouse to work and then I moved everything around and most of the ports weren't working, especially none of my USB 3.0, but now I had an issue where I turned on my computer and my keyboard and mouse were no longer working and then I moved my wifi adapter to my USB 3.0 ports which now started working and then I noticed my keyboard and mouse were working again. It seems reproducible every time I turn my computer on, but not always consistently the same ports or same things that are being disconnected. I have consistently had this problem with my wifi adapter but all I would have to do is unplug it and plug it back into the same port and then it would fix the problem until recently. I have checked my connections physically and they are connected fully every time.

Solution
Specs:

I am having an issue where I am having inconsistent connections with the things plugged into the USB ports on my motherboard. Earlier I was not able to get my wifi adapter or mouse to work and then I moved everything around and most of the ports weren't working, especially none of my USB 3.0, but now I had an issue where I turned on my computer and my keyboard and mouse were no longer working and then I moved my wifi adapter to my USB 3.0 ports which now started working and then I noticed my keyboard and mouse were...

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Specs:

I am having an issue where I am having inconsistent connections with the things plugged into the USB ports on my motherboard. Earlier I was not able to get my wifi adapter or mouse to work and then I moved everything around and most of the ports weren't working, especially none of my USB 3.0, but now I had an issue where I turned on my computer and my keyboard and mouse were no longer working and then I moved my wifi adapter to my USB 3.0 ports which now started working and then I noticed my keyboard and mouse were working again. It seems reproducible every time I turn my computer on, but not always consistently the same ports or same things that are being disconnected. I have consistently had this problem with my wifi adapter but all I would have to do is unplug it and plug it back into the same port and then it would fix the problem until recently. I have checked my connections physically and they are connected fully every time.

If you look around for symptoms of a bad cmos battery it mentions peripherals, but more common symptoms relate to time/date not being correct. That being said I am sure there is other reasons that could happen, and I am not sure how long you've used the board but cmos batteries are cheap, and typically 2032 style batteries, you can also test them with multimeters, but given they are so cheap you could just buy em cheaper then a multimeter. Even if its not the issue its always good to have a spare one for the future if you ever come across that issue. I'm using a board from 2013 and the cmos battery has not given me any issues but the average lifespan from what i can find is 3-5 years, mine is on year 7 atm, with constant use (computer on 24/7 a majority of that time).

I would guess its not related to the cmos personally, given you've not experienced more common symptoms related to cmos battery issues like date/time being incorrect, but its worth checking since they are as cheap as they are while you wait for more experienced opinions.

Solution