[SOLVED] Issue with Video or Graphics Card

Dec 19, 2020
First time poster and first time PC builder here! So, after many frustrating days of playing with wires and things, I can’t seem to get my monitor to show anything but a black screen, yet the red power light flashes every few seconds. I’m not sure if I plugged something in wrong, the graphics card is messed up, or maybe my monitor finally died. I honestly have no idea what to do after hours of google searching.
(Monitor was working fine until I started messing with rebuilding; wouldn’t turn on except for the blinking light when I put back in the old hardware, maybe a wire isn’t connected in the right spot?)

My hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i5 - 3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 77W

Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 LGA 1155 DDR3

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gddr5

Case: Golden Field N17

Power Supply: Raidmax 500W XT Series

Monitor: 2013 LG Flatron HDMI

Solution
I'm not very knowledgeable but I had this problem with a brand new monitor and it fixed itself when I swapped to a different monitor and then swapped back to the new monitor again as a last resort. And previous to that I had hooked up new monitor to my new build to test to see if it worked at all. I used DVI then, and had to use VGA cable on the pc it was meant for, which is old. So, to recap:

I needed new monitor to work on old pc:

New monitor on old pc using DVI - nope
New monitor on old pc using VGA - nope
New monitor on new build using DVI - yep
Old monitor on old pc using DVI and/or VGA, I don't remember but probably VGA - yep
New monitor on old pc using VGA - yep, problem solved.

My new monitor is 1080, same as my old...

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I'm not very knowledgeable but I had this problem with a brand new monitor and it fixed itself when I swapped to a different monitor and then swapped back to the new monitor again as a last resort. And previous to that I had hooked up new monitor to my new build to test to see if it worked at all. I used DVI then, and had to use VGA cable on the pc it was meant for, which is old. So, to recap:

I needed new monitor to work on old pc:

New monitor on old pc using DVI - nope
New monitor on old pc using VGA - nope
New monitor on new build using DVI - yep
Old monitor on old pc using DVI and/or VGA, I don't remember but probably VGA - yep
New monitor on old pc using VGA - yep, problem solved.

My new monitor is 1080, same as my old monitor. I used the brand new power cable throughout the process. I know it doesn't make sense but it worked.

Solution